This article has been translated from Russian language using an artificial intelligence-based translation algorithm. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the quality of the translation. You can read the original of this article in Russian here, and ask questions on the topic of our travel forum in English here.
Attention! The internet contains a wide variety of information about customs regulations Laos, and often not corresponding to reality. The following are the customs regulations in force as of December 2012, taken from official sources of the Lao Customs Service.
Tourists to Laos are allowed to carry duty-free:
- 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco
- 1 liter of spirits and 2 liters of wine
- 250 grams of Eau de toilette and 50 grams of perfume
- Second-hand tools for professional use by the traveller and facilities for the carriage of luggage
- One used camera or one camcorder with 10 reels of film
- One used Movie Camera
- One used tape recorder
- One used radio
- Used sports equipment and tent
- One used baby stroller
- Other personal items not for commercial use worth up to $ 50
Do not be surprised at the interpretation of items with "used". This simply means that these items must not be new in packaging, i.e. not intended for sale, for example. Paragraphs 1 and 2 are prohibited to persons under 16 years of age.
It is assumed that for all other items you are required to pay a fee on entry. That doesn't mean you can't import anything other than these items. You can safely import any non-prohibited items for personal use, just for the specific types of goods listed above, there are restrictions on quantity and quality.
Subject to declaration when entering Laos
- Foreign currency in the equivalent of over $ 2,000
Import/export is prohibited
- weapons, explosives, toxic and flammable substances
- narcotic drugs
It is forbidden to export
- Antiques, art; Buddha images except souvenirs.
Import/export of currency
Import and export of the National currency of Laos is prohibited.
There are no restrictions on the import/export of foreign currency, but the amount of cash and traveler's checks in the equivalent of more than $ 2,000 must be declared.
For more information, see the Laos Customs website http://laocustoms.laopdr.net/.