This article has been translated from Russian language using an artificial intelligence-based translation algorithm. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the quality of the translation. You can read the original of this article in Russian here, and ask questions on the topic of our travel forum in English here.
Holidays in Egypt in March and what is the weather like there
Egypt is suitable for rest throughout the year, the local climate has it. And if we consider the country from the point of view of rest in March, then the answer to the question "Is it worth going to Egypt in March?", the answer will be in the affirmative. But, like any season, March has its own differences, which you need to know about before leaving for the resort:
March is a transitional period from a cool winter to a hot summer, so it's still cold at the beginning of the month, warmer in the middle, and by the end it's already quite hot. It's time to swim and sunbathe, but it's still windy. The air in the resorts warms up after winter, but frosts are still possible in desert regions.
In March, the off-season is in fruits, there are few of them, only oranges, bananas, guavas, and strawberries. The time of excursions, sea trips, however, due to desert storms, trips on excursions to the desert are temporarily suspended.
Average temperatures in popular resorts on the Red Sea coast, such as Sharm el-Sheikh, Hurghada and others, in March are kept at around:
|Absolute Maximum ℃
|Average Temperature ℃
|The Absolute Minimum ℃
|Water Temperature ℃
From the table it is clear that during this period the air after winter begins to warm up gradually and during the day the temperature can rise to +30 ℃ and above. In the evening, it drops significantly to +16-19, and when the wind is blowing, it even gets cold, then you will need a sweatshirt with jeans, and maybe even a light jacket. In the daytime, light summer clothes, a swimsuit on the beach, will be fine if there is no cloudy weather and strong winds when it is still cool.
The water off the coast is starting to warm up, but not enough and it's still cool to swim. The water is not as warm and pleasant as we would like, and it is not comfortable to stay in it for a long time. And if you go to Egypt in March, betting on water activities (snorkeling, diving, windsurfing), it's better to grab a wetsuit. Bathing in other cases on the beach, in the presence of wind, will not bring pleasure, because after leaving the water, it becomes very cold. The best option would be swimming in a heated pool. As for sunbathing, you can sunbathe both on the beach and near the pool, and it doesn't matter if the weather is cloudy or sunny, sunbathe anyway. Do not forget sunscreens, they may be needed.
Precipitation at all resorts is minimal. The chances of getting caught in the rain are negligible. However, the probability remains higher in the Nile Delta and Cairo up to 3.8 millimeters per month. If it does rain, it's short-lived.
In March, there is still a high probability of cloudy days, although there are fewer of them compared to the winter period. The sky can tighten from noon to 2 days, but this is not critical. You can swim and sunbathe during such periods, you just need to choose windless places on the beach or near the pool. True, the air temperature can drop significantly and a pleasant time on the beach is out of the question.
After winter, the March winds do not give up their positions and are still cold and unpleasant. Relaxing on the beach will not be fun if you do not choose the windless side. In addition, you should bring another towel with you for wiping, because it won't dry out quickly and you'll have to freeze. An extra towel can be brought with you or taken from the room, as the hotel provides only one beach towel.
In March, Egypt is covered by sandstorms – another nuisance that causes inconvenience. Winds from the Sahara and Arabian deserts carry sand and dust with them to the coast. A small part reaches popular resorts, but this also causes inconvenience. During the period of storms, all trips to attractions and entertainment in the desert may be postponed. For protection, handkerchiefs and arafats are usually used to hide the head, ears, nose, as well as glasses to protect the eyes from sand as much as possible.
The light day gradually begins to increase and, compared with February, it becomes half an hour longer. It starts getting dark at six o'clock:
- 🕑 Exact time of dawn in Egypt(in Sharm el-Sheikh) today: 06:11
- 🕑 Exact sunset time in Egypt(in Sharmel-Sheikh) today: 17:39
Pros and cons of a holiday in Egypt in March
And now let's summarize and list the pros and cons of a holiday in Egypt in March:
✔ Advantages of holidays in Egypt in March
- There are few vacationers on the beaches and on sightseeing trips.
- Prices for tours, flights, accommodation and excursions are falling.
- You can go to Egypt for a long winter to wait out our frosts.
- In general, it is quite comfortable to sunbathe and even swim for a short time.
- This is a great time for kite surfing, windsurfing.
- There is no sweltering heat.
❌ Cons of holidays in Egypt in March
- In general, it's a cool time: you'll need warm clothes in the evenings, and you won't be able to swim for a long time.
- The weather can deteriorate for a couple of days due to clouds and winds, it gets cool even during the day.
- Short daylight hours, it gets dark early.
- Strong winds cause inconvenience, some beaches may be temporarily closed due to the weather.
- Sand (dust) storms bring clouds of sand and dust from the desert, there is a high probability of canceling excursions.
- There are still few local exotic fruits, almost no inexpensive mangoes to be found.
Where is it better to go to Egypt in March and tips on choosing a place to stay
For a holiday in March, the most optimal resort is Sharm el-Sheikh. Its location is favorable and well protected from strong winds. Thanks to this, the average temperature here is higher. But the difference, for example with Hurghada, is so insignificant that it cannot be felt by temperature. And if an inexpensive tour to one of the resorts of Egypt turns up, then if you don't have to choose, take any one. You can buy tours online at tour operator prices at no extra charge on these reliable and trusted sites:
- ✈ Tours to Egypt on Onlinetours.ru
- ✈ Tours to Egypt on Travelata.ru (🎁 here are the promo codes for a discount when buying)
- ✈ Tours to Egypt on Level.Travel
- ✈ Tours to Egypt to Fly.ru
However, when choosing a hotel with a beach, it is better to give priority to the one whose beach is closed by a bay and protected from wind and waves, or is located closer to the coast, where a dust storm will not reach.
Trips on excursions in March are preferable than in July, because there is no heat and stuffiness. The impression can only be spoiled by sandstorms, which can cancel all planned excursions to Cairo, Giza and Luxor, Mount Moses and entertainment in the desert for several days. On such days on crufts you can only go shopping or sunbathe at the hotel beach.
Weather and seasons in Sharm el-Sheikh
* the best time to visit;
acceptable time to visit;
not recommended time to visit
Current weather in Sharm el-Sheikh and forecast
Weather and seasons in Hurghada
* the best time to visit;
acceptable time to visit;
not recommended time to visit
Current weather in Hurghada and forecast
- 28 Фев15:00+25°C3м/сВлаж. 29%
- 29 Фев0:00+18°C4м/сВлаж. 53%
- 29 Фев9:00+20°C3м/сВлаж. 38%
- 29 Фев18:00+22°C2м/сВлаж. 34%
- 01 Мар3:00+18°C0м/сВлаж. 37%
- 01 Мар12:00+24°C5м/сВлаж. 42%
- 01 Мар21:00+20°C3м/сВлаж. 55%
- 02 Мар6:00+18°C1м/сВлаж. 54%
- 02 Мар15:00+25°C10м/сВлаж. 34%
- 03 Мар0:00+20°C7м/сВлаж. 33%
- 03 Мар9:00+19°C11м/сВлаж. 48%
- 03 Мар18:00+23°C10м/сВлаж. 31%
* - прогноз указан по местному времени. Данные получены с https://openweathermap.org. Если отображаются устаревшие даты, обновите страницу с помощью F5+Ctrl.