Danger in the Crimea: what is to be feared and how to avoid trouble
Going on vacation in the Crimea, especially if your trip involves trekking in the mountains and steppes of the Peninsula and living in tents, no harm will be acquainted with the dangers that may await you there:
Threat, very rare!
Karakurt – a subspecies of the Black Widow – one of the most dangerous spiders. For human bites black widow deadly if not treated on time. Deaths in Crimea yet.
The black widow can be found in the steppe part of the Crimea (Cape of Tarhankut, district of Yalta, Kerch). The spider has a size of 10-20 mm, has very long fore tarsi, entirely black, sometimes with red dots.
The probability of being bitten is very small, but that is bad, the bite point is almost impossible to notice, he wouldn't hurt a mosquito bite. To understand that you've been bitten by it Karakurt, the symptoms that manifest after 20-30 minutes. In bitten limbs, and then throughout the body, begins severe pain, cramps, fever. You should immediately consult a doctor.
First aid at a sting karakurta:
- Within 1-2 minutes to cauterize the bite with a match or a cigarette (poison neutralized under the influence of increased temperature). After you need to seek medical help in the nearest medical facility (SES, trauma center).
The average risk
As throughout Russia, in the Crimea you can meet ticks. Fortunately, there is widespread European forest tick that carries the virus weaker encephalitis, Mediterranean type, not causing serious health damage. Another serious disease that is put forward to them – Lyme disease. Read more about ticks in Crimea here...
The average risk
Snakes for the Crimea – is not uncommon, and they can be found even in parks and gardens major resorts of the Crimea, and what can we say about the steppes and mountains where tourists often go on excursions and hikes. Fortunately, the deadly types on the Peninsula is not found, and of seven kinds of risk is only two types: Steppe Viper and Snake yellow-bellied. Steppe Viper is poisonous, but not deadly. The bite cases is transferred as a disease with fever, aches. In case of Viper bite child it is better to consult a doctor. Snake yellow-bellied are generally not poisonous, but could bite if attacked. Read more about snakes in the Crimea here...
Jellyfish in the Crimean Black and Azov seas abound, but they are absolutely not dangerous. From contact with some of them it is possible to burn harder burn from a nettle. Read more about jellyfish in the Crimea...
Slightly hazardous, isolated cases of infection
Malaria in the Crimea is a very rare "imported" disease, i.e. from other countries, mainly from Southeast Asia and Africa. Cases of malaria are extremely rare, almost singular, so you shouldn't worry about this. However, if you are really worried, then just use insect repellents to repel insects, to prevent the bite of mosquitoes that can be vectors of disease.
On the Peninsula is found a special kind of insect Crimean Scorpion. To meet them as a real treat, because they are almost gone. These insects are poisonous, but their bite is not fatal for humans. On a place of a sting there is swelling, pain; may be nausea and vomiting, chills, fever. But after 3-4 hours all the symptoms disappear by themselves.
In the case of a bite recommended: suck out the poison from the bite, wash it in ammonia or ethyl alcohol (vodka, brandy, etc.), drink plenty of water.
In the Maritime waters of the Black sea harbors several species of poisonous fish. In most cases they represent a threat only to fishermen, and it is very small, so as to catch a fish can only professional, and they know all about them. However, some species retain the poison, even when he was already dead, and there is a very small chance to meet a beached fish. Poisonous are Skorpena or Marine Fish, Sea Dragon, Ramp-hvostokol, or Sea cat.
The venom of the black sea fish contains in their spines and fins (not the meat), and poisoning occurs at the injection site. Therefore, not enough to grab with bare hands the dead fish or the fish that are caught for fins and spikes, and everything will be fine. Even if you acolytes, the poisoning goes on during the day, the truth will have to endure severe pain, numbness, fever.
Poisonous plantsBelladonna or deadly nightshade
You may be surprised and not believe it, but the plants in the Crimea is no less dangerous than all of the above animals and insects. Here you can find a lot of dangerous and poisonous plants that can cause harm if you eat, touch or even smell. Some plants are deadly! They are especially dangerous for kids that love all pull in the mouth and touch the beautiful flowers. So be sure to read our separate article "Poisonous plants of the Crimea: photos, description, first aid".
- The food at the beach. Recommend not to buy from peddlers on the beach, because the product can be simply ruined.
- Wine by the glass. Although the sale of wine by the glass, including the supposedly homemade, made in the Crimea everywhere in fact, according to sanitary norms it is prohibited. Official sanitary authorities considered that the most sold bulk wine in the Crimea are of low quality and made from wastes of wine production.
- Water. Drinking water in Crimea is a big problem. In some areas, and even in the popular tourist resorts happen massive infection of intestinal infection in the high season for use in the cooking water. Be sure to take cure for intestinal infections (during epidemics of prices for such medicines in local pharmacies are increased at times, there is a shortage), and never use water from the tap. For brushing and mouthwash is also better to use boiled water.
- The deception and fraud. Culture tourism business in the Crimea, according to the authors of the site, being on a high enough level. Cases of cheating tourists is not a lot. To worry that the crooks from the tourist industry will leave you without money, not much worth it. As high, if not vigilant, you can pay for a taxi or a tour.