Visa and the visa regime in Abkhazia
Visa regime of Abkhazia for Russians is very simple: provided visa-free visit to the country, and the internal Russian passport. However, Abkhazia is unrecognized by the international community government, and therefore the entrance to her problems followed by a visit to Georgia, up to criminal liability. It is therefore very important to know all the features of the visa regime in the country. Read more about all visa and customs of Abkhazia, read on. Well, if you still have questions, you can also read "Frequently asked questions and answers about visa to Abkhazia", or ask questions on our forum.
How to enter Abkhazia, CAT
Today in Abkhazia can be reached by land via two border crossings:
- The checkpoint "Psou" on the border with Russia (from the point of view of the Georgian authorities this is an illegal crossing of the border), see the Psou checkpoint on the map
- PPC "Inguri" on the border with Georgia (for foreigners, including Russians, it's just a hike), see CAT Inguri on the map
Also in season you can take the ferry Sochi-Gagra and Adler-Gagra. If you are travelling by ferry, you will apply all the same conditions and limitations as when driving through the checkpoint "Psou".
It is very important to leave the Republic via the same checkpoint through which you entered, otherwise you will automatically become a violator of the laws of Georgia it was impossible to visit Georgia.
Necessary documents for entry into Abkhazia
Citizens of the Russian Federation may enter not only by foreign passport, but for ordinary Russian (only through the checkpoint "Psou"). Citizens of other countries require a passport.
For children must have a birth certificate or a passport. For exit from the Russian Federation children with one of the parents or guardians (relatives) is needed notarized power of attorney to leave the child from the other parent/parents.
In accordance with the Law "On compulsory accident insurance of foreign citizens and individuals without citizenship, arriving on the territory of the Republic of Abkhazia" when crossing the border at the checkpoint "Psou" is the compulsory insurance of foreign nationals (except for tourists who bought tour insurance travel Agency; children under 6 years of age; persons working in Abkhazia under an employment contract or on official travel). Insurance is carried out directly at the checkpoint. The amount of insurance coverage is 30,000 rubles, the cost for up to 3 days inclusive - 30 rubles, for a term of up to 30 days - 250 rubles, for up to 183 days - 750 rubles. In 2017, the insurance contributions are not charged, but the official information about the cancellation of the law yet.
To enter by car, you must have:
- the driver's license of the international sample (applicable Russian law)
- data sheet
- for someone else's car need power of attorney, in which a separate item is allowed to travel abroad of the Russian Federation
Also be sure to check that you have unpaid fines and other debts, otherwise you can not release at the border from Russia.
How to visit Abkhazia without a visa
Citizens of the following countries are eligible to visit Abkhazia without a visa for up to 90 days:
- Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic
- The Republic Of South Ossetia
Citizens of the following countries are eligible to visit Abkhazia as a tourist without a visa for up to 14 days:
Also allowed entry without a visa citizens of all countries as part of an organized tour group for a period of not more than 24 hours.
Visa-free entry is only possible through the checkpoint "Psou" on the border of Russia and Abkhazia (in Sochi), or by ferry from Sochi to Gagra. Citizens of the Russian Federation can enter via this checkpoint according to the usual internal Russian passports.
But the problem is that Georgia considers Abkhazia its occupied territory and, therefore, if you enter here through the checkpoint "Psou" that is not controlled by the Georgian authorities, it will automatically become a lawbreaker, and will have problems with the following possible entry into Georgia. Therefore, citizens should visit Abkhazia through the crossing internal passports of the Russian Federation, because in this case, the stamp in the passport is not put, and can then safely enter the country on a foreign passport. But in any case, do not try then to enter Georgia from Abkhazia through another checkpoint "Inguri", as well as become a violator.
How to visit Abkhazia visa
Since Abkhazia is an unrecognized state, and she has no consular departments in other countries, permission for a visa obtained in advance by e-mail or Fax, after which it crossed the border, and the visa is affixed in the passport on the territory of Abkhazia.
Entry into Abkhazia with visa theoretically possible using both PPC, but when entering from the Russian Federation through the checkpoint "Psou", you automatically become a violator of the laws of Georgia. So if you don't want to continue to have problems with the visits to Georgia, travel to the passport and with visas through the checkpoint "Inguri".
Attention! The entry of the Russians through the checkpoint "Inguri" in 2017 is prohibited. The situation is constantly changing, relevant information can be clarified by phone or e-mail at the consular section of Abkhazia (see contacts below).
The procedure of obtaining a visa to Abkhazia the following:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax it to +7 840-226-39-48 to send a scanned copy of your passport and a completed questionnaire (the questionnaire is on the website of the MFA of Abkhazia). The validity of passport should be at least 6 months from the date of entry.
- Wait for notification of visa or rejection (usually not more than 7 days). Notice to be printed in two copies and take with you.
- Cross the border of Abkhazia by foreign passport and a printed notification.
- Already in the country to contact the consular section at the address: Sukhum, Sakharov St. 33 (tel 226 39 7 840 48) for placing the visa in the passport within three days after crossing the border. Before that you need to pay the application fee in branch of Sberbank of Abkhazia.
The fee for a visa to Abkhazia:
- Single entry up to 10 days – $ 10
- Single entry up to 1 month – 20 USD
- Single entry up to 3 months – $ 30
- Single entry up to 1 year – $ 40
- Multiple entry up to 1 month – US $ 30
- Multiple entry up to 3 months – $ 40
- Multiple entry up to 1 year – $ 60
For each overdue day of stay on the visa will be fined US $ 5 per day.
Entry into Abkhazia through Georgia
Travel to Abkhazia through Georgia is required if you plan in the future to visit Georgia since the entry into Abkhazia through the checkpoint "Psou" on the part of Russia automatically makes you a violator of the laws of Georgia. With the exception of citizens of the Russian Federation that can "hide" your visit to Abkhazia from the Russian Federation, having driven on the internal Russian passports.
Entry through Georgia is through the checkpoint "Inguri". This checkpoint operates strictly from 08:00 to 19:00. For foreigners, it is just walking (including for Russians), drive the vehicle impossible. Tourists enter through him reaching a checkpoint on public transport, and after the CAT also riding public transport already in Abkhazia. Through public transport through the checkpoint there.
Of course, you must first enter the country and obtain permission to enter the territory of the Republic in the consular Department of Abkhazia by email or Fax as visa (see above). This permission and a passport can be followed at the checkpoint "Inguri", with the passport stamps are not listed. You also need to go through this checkpoint, otherwise it will be considered a violation.
After arriving from Georgia, in Abkhazia it is necessary to contact the consular section at the address: Sukhum, Sakharov St. 33 (tel 7-840-226-39-48) for stamping the visa in the passport within three days after crossing the border.
Addresses and contacts of embassies and consulates
Consular service of the MFA of Abkhazia (on the issues of obtaining and extending of visas)
- Address: str 33, Sukhum
- tel: +7 940 996 39 48 (mob.), +7 840 226 39 48 (RAB.)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: http://mfaapsny.org/council/visa.php
The Embassy of Abkhazia in Moscow
- Address: Moscow, Gagarinsky pereulok, d. 11
- phone: +7(495) 637-38-68
- Fax: +7(495)637-37-56
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.embabhazia.ru
The Russian Embassy in Sukhumi
- Address: Sukhum, Lakoba St., 45
- phone: +7(840)226-36-93
- Fax: +7(840)226-56-93
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: www.abkhazia.mid.ru