General information about the resort
Gagra (Gagra, Gagra) – the second largest city of Abkhazia after the capital and most popular resort in the country. The population of the city by Russian standards, quite modest, a total of 12 thousand people. It is the closest to the border with Russia, a resort city, the distance from the border crossing is only 25 kilometers (Gagra on the map of Abkhazia).
Many tourists believe that in Gagra the best beaches, the clean sea and it is the green and beautiful resort Abkhazia. Whether so it actually – the big question, but, nevertheless, it is also the most expensive resort of Abkhazia, as due to the proximity to the border and the large flow of tourists from Russia.
In this guide to Gagra you can read all that is necessary for independent travel or vacation at this resort. If you prefer an organized tour, you can find and book tours in Abkhazia, including a deferred payment, the following checked services online search and booking of tours, or by using the search box:
- Tours to Abkhazia on Level.Travel
- Tours to Abkhazia Travelata.ru
- Tours to Abkhazia for the Onlinetours.tu
Rest in Gagra
Rest in Gagra, as in Abkhazia as a whole, beach. The beaches here are sandy-gravel (mostly pebble) and very spacious. Even in the peak season, despite its popularity, on the Bank enough room for everyone. Well, if you want to be further away from the crowds of tourists, you can walk along the beach to the outskirts or even outside the city. Another advantage of Gagra is the most developed resort Abkhazia. There are restaurants, bars, discos, lots of water sports on the beach, there is even some entertainment for children, and the only one in Abkhazia and a water Park. Despite common on the Internet advertising description Gagra as the most clean and beautiful resort, this is actually not true, rather the contrary. But read about it below.
Shopping in Gagra not completely developed, the major shopping centers there. The previous shopping center "Continent" in 2016 is closed and abandoned almost to ruin status. There are a few shops by the type of Soviet supermarkets, markets, shops with goods for a holiday, lots of small shops with essential goods and products, you can even find the network shopping. But in General, serious shopping to count here is not worth it, and all you need to relax, such as electronics, beach gear, clothes, better bring from Russia.
But there is another side to the holiday in Gagra, which is especially clearly feel experienced tourists and travelers who have seen the different resorts. It is very dirty and not a place. Dirt, debris and dullness manifested everywhere on the streets and even on the beaches. Footpaths and roadsides are absent or very narrow, and even just walking around the city on foot to the beach or shops is dangerous and uncomfortable drive reckless local drivers. Devastation everywhere and not well maintained, even the waterfront and infrastructure has not been repaired, it seems that since the Soviet times. More or less put in order and cleanliness is maintained in the heart of the city around the square and the Memorial of Independence, but it is necessary to move away from this place for a couple of hundred meters, the situation changes dramatically.
There is another reason because of which rest in Gagra can be spoiled – very spoiled by the flow of tourists from Russia, the local tourist business. Cheating when you check in hotels and accommodation is the norm, which should always be ready. The sellers of the city on the street also do not hesitate to cheat, only to realize excursions for the tourists. Attitudes to migrants in shops and in the markets also wants to keep the best: sellers traded without hunting, and sometimes even behave aggressively when not buying. Of course, this happens not everywhere and not all, but most often it is in Gagra, and not at other resorts.
Housing and hotels in Gagra where to stay
Hotels in Gagra much lower prices than on the other side of the border in Sochi. However, the quality of accommodation is much lower. To book a room in a private guest house or apartment with minimal amenities from 1200 rubles for two, a room in a more or less comfortable hotel with a service will cost from 2500 rubles.
Accommodation can be booked in advance through the booking system (recommended), and can be found at the place. Intermediaries that offer housing, "catch" tourists already in the Parking lot after passing the border control, stand with signs along the main routes, even at night. You can find housing without intermediaries, just skirting the house with a sign "for Rent accommodation". But that was less of a problem (the problems that can occur with accommodation in Gagra, read below), or it was easier to solve when you are prompted, we recommend you pre-book accommodation through the following system of search and booking of hotels:
- Search hotels in Gagra on Agoda.com
- To search for homes and hotels in Gagra on Booking.com
- To search for homes and hotels in Gagra on Hotellook.com
- To search for accommodation in Gagra on Airbnb
- To search for accommodation in Gagra on the Daily.ru
Search and book hotels in Gagra
When searching and booking accommodation in Gagra note that these hotels are operating legally and are ready to provide financial documents (receipts) are not so much. Most offered through the system of booking rooms in guest houses and mini-hotels are rooms in private homes, sometimes just "dead". So be sure to pay attention to the reviews of other guests about housing, not cheap housing without reviews.
Weather and tourist seasons in Gagra, when to go
- May. The holiday season in Gagra lasts from June to October, although the first tourists show up here for the second half of may. Indeed, in some years the air at the end of may already well warmed up, you can sunbathe, although the sea is still too cold for comfortable swimming. Still keep in mind that not all tourism infrastructure works at this time: many cafes and entertainment are only being prepared for opening.
- Jun. In June, especially in the second half, the sea is well warmed up, the heat becomes in the evenings and at night. At this time, you can go to Gagra, even with children.
- In July and August. The most comfortable season for holidays is July and August, but it is the large influx of tourists. Prices rise, on the beaches tourists will be significantly longer, but not so much to avoid visiting this time.
- In September and October. This is the so-called velvet season. End the holiday season and school holidays, and most of the rest goes. The price would fall. But the weather is still warm even in the evenings until the beginning of October. It's the perfect time to stay in Gagra. But in the second half of October is already cool, so better plan a trip here until that time.
Seasons in Gagra months, when is the best time to go
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Current weather in Gagra and forecast
- Aug 273:00+20°C0m/sRH. 73%
- Aug 2712:0019°C2m/sRH. 66%
- Aug 2721:00+11°C2m/sRH. 80%
- Aug 286:00+17°C2m/sRH. 62%
- Aug 2815:00+18°C1m/sRH. 66%
- 29 Aug0:00+10°C2m/sRH. 94%
- 29 Aug9:0019°C4m/sRH. 60%
- 29 Aug18:00+12°C2m/sRH. 88%
- 30 Aug3:00+11°C4m/sRH. 98%
- 30 Aug12:00+12°C3M/sRH. 97%
- 30 Aug21:00+11°C1m/sRH. 99%
- 31 Aug6:00+10°C2m/sRH. 98%
* forecast is based on the local time. Data received https://openweathermap.org. If the dates are outdated, please refresh the page using F5+Ctrl.
Attractions in Gagra
Near Gagra are the most famous and interesting sights of Abkhazia. It is primarily such natural beauty as the lake Ritsa and Ritsa national Park, the waterfall Gega, lake blue, mountain Mamzyshha and much more. In the city of Gagra attractions worthy of attention, is almost there, so you need to be ready to go to interesting places far away on your transport or tour that can be purchased on the streets of the resort, or book in advance via the Internet.
As for entertainment, while Gagra is the most developed resort in the country, do not expect here even villages of greater Sochi, not to mention the large resort town of Anapa, Gelendzhik, or the city of Sochi, for example. So, in the New Gagra on the beach there are water sports (banana boating or parasailing, jet ski rentals), next to Plaza Independence Memorial on the shore there is a Park with a simple children's rides, there's also the country's only water Park. In the Old Gagra entertainment on the beaches almost none, and rides. But you can walk along the seaside Park, it also has quite a few simple rides for the little kids, adventure Park and tennis courts. You can also go on a boat trip along the coast: barkers on boats and then invite tourists over the loudspeaker on all the beaches.
Evening and night entertainment in the theater quite a bit. Nightlife no, only the dance floors in bars, plus sometimes organize discos popular (non-progressive) music for their customers in restaurants at major hotels.
The most famous attractions in Gagra:
- Castle Prince of Oldenburg
- Abaata fortress and the Church of St. Hypatia
- Historical Museum Abaata
- The Cave Of St. Hypatia
- Memorial Of Independence
- Seaside Park
- Gagripsh Restaurant
- Water Park Of Gagra
- Hot hydrosulphuric source and dirt
- The Ritsa relic national Park
- The Fortress And Khasan-Abaa
- Mountain Mamzyshha
- The ruins of Bzyb temple
How to get to the center, transport
Gagra is closest to the border with Russia, a resort city, from the border crossing to him just 30 kilometers (Gagra on the map of Abkhazia). You can only get here by land from the territory of the Russian Federation (by car, bus or train) or Georgia (only by car or walk), since the aircraft in Abkhazia do not fly. The citizens of Russia it is best to get to Gagra with Russia via the Psou checkpoint on the internal passport (without using export), because a mark in the passport about crossing the border of Russia-Abkhazia can bring serious problems when visiting Georgia (see more on this read more How to get to Abkhazia). If you want to get here through Georgia, the entrance is possible only by foreign passport after obtaining appropriate permits.
Read more about all the ways how and what to get to Gagra on their own, here...