Security in Abkhazia, tips
Security in Abkhazia, crime
Despite the difficult political situation around Abkhazia and the still recent armed conflict with Georgia in 1992-93 years, the situation in the country calm. Protecting borders from the Georgian side carried out jointly by Abkhaz and Russian troops. Local people to tourists from all countries, and especially from Russia, is very friendly, and today rest in Abkhazia the most threatening of the usual petty crimes like fraud, pickpocketing, thefts from rooms and vehicles. The level of such petty crimes are not higher than in any other resort, for example in Sochi, so the usual precautions and care will help to avoid loss of property. The greatest number of crimes against tourists according to the statistics performed in the major resorts of Gagra and Sukhum in the high season of summer.
With regard to particularly serious crimes such as robberies, looting, rape and murder, they happen very rarely. But in fairness, and lest you think that Abkhazia is absolutely nothing to fear, it should be noted that sometimes the victims of serious offenders are tourists. So, in October 2016 the car with tourists from Russia, fired rifles on the dirt road, and luckily no one was killed. And in July of 2017 family from Russia on the beach was an armed robbery in which a man died.
The most common problem faced by all, without exception, the tourists – it attempts to "divorce" for all sorts of goods and services at inflated prices. So, included in almost every tour group visiting the honey of apiaries and wineries – not that other, as an ordinary consumer fraud. At the tasting tourists show a single product, but in reality sell fake. Remember: in Abkhazia, there is a lot of bees and grapes, to sell so much honey and wine tourists. Most of the products are fake. Besides, prices for honey are a few times higher than in Russia.
We should also mention the independent travel of women of Abkhazia. Although in General it is safe, you should be prepared for constant and sometimes brusque attention from the local men. Not to say that it can lead to serious issues, but harassment at every step with time getting very "strain".
Tips to avoid trouble
Let's not kid ourselves and assume that visitors from other countries appreciate and love it in any form. Tourists in Abkhazia are often interesting only up to that time, he has money and he's willing to spend it. So do not be surprised that friendly when they first met the owner of the house after receiving the money will not be so friendly. Here are some tips that will help you :
- Don't give all the money for housing or other services immediately, it is better to give the parts to the last day of stay.
- Try to make friends with someone from the local population, for example owners of the house in which you live. The mentality in Abkhazia is such that your friends always help you, so if you get in trouble, will be the one to turn to for real help.
- You should not act arrogant and go into conflict with the locals over nothing. The Abkhazians are proud people, the nature of their hot, therefore small conflict can escalate into a major brawl.
- Carefully check the receipts and payments in shops, restaurants etc., home-a few hundred rubles tourists are the norm.
- Never leave it unattended with things even for a very short time. Even if things in the car do not represent great value, thieves can not know this, and will damage the car to steal them.
- Do not go beyond the beach in bathing suits. This not only causes the dissatisfaction of local residents, but also is a violation.
Medicine in Abkhazia shareware, including primary emergency care for foreign nationals. However, the majority of even free procedures will have to pay into the pocket of the doctors. But serious medical care is paid for, so it's best just in case to have an insurance policy, because Russian policy is not applicable. The level of medicine is lower than in Russia, but in General, initial emergency care is provided at a normal level.
Pharmacies in Abkhazia can be found without problems, the range of medicines they are the same as in Russia, except that the prices are higher. In any case, travel first aid kit will not interfere (see, to assemble a first aid kit of the tourist).
To do any vaccinations for entry to Abkhazia is not required.
With regard to drinking water, despite the assurances of local residents and authorities about the fact that you can drink the water from the tap, we would not recommend to do it, at least without boiling. And better still to use the purchase of bottled water. Tourists often complain of the infection of rotavirus infection, and blamed it on the use of raw tap water, and to pick up a virus on vacation – pleasant enough.
Another danger with infection with infection or intestinal poisoning associated with bathing in the sea. During peak season are not uncommon the whole epidemic, and it is considered that this is due to the emission of sewage into the sea. Therefore, when bathing try not to swallow sea water, especially in those places where the sea flow into local rivers or streams, because they may be not the drains. And, of course, do not forget about the most basic rules of food hygiene: body wash hands with soap before eating; wash the product before use; do not drink unboiled water from untested natural sources; not to eat the food stalls and peddlers.
The situation on roads of Abkhazia is very different from Russia. Local drivers do not always observe traffic rules and break the rules right under the noses of the inspectors of local GAI. In the result, the tourists have a wrong impression that so you can ride all, but it's not. Local traffic police do not pay attention to local drivers, because their main earnings in the holiday season focused on tourists. This is a big problem for Russian drivers who are already a little unaccustomed to the fact that they can "nightmare" the inspectors, and the case and without a case. Even the interior Minister of Abkhazia in 2016 forbade his subordinates to stop for no reason cars with foreign numbers, but the problem remained. Therefore be attentive and careful, avoid the temptation to violate traffic rules, looking for local. And be sure to use videoregistrator.
Any traffic violations in Abkhazia provided for withdrawal rights. To return them only after paying the fine, and it can be done only in traffic police of the district (no payment of fines via the Internet Bank or not) where you committed the violation and return the right. During the holidays it is a great loss of time, and these are the inspectors by offering to solve the problem on the spot.
Sometimes inspector to directly "throw" tourists for non-existent violations, such as speeding on the radar with another vehicle; violation of sign that he's actually not. So be careful and double check the violations that you impute, to the extent that you go back and check fines.
And, keep in mind that in Abkhazia speeding are punishable for speeding more than 10km/h, not 20 like we have. Ie where the maximum speed of 60 km/h, you can't go above 70, otherwise get on 600-1800 rubles. The management of the national Assembly or the transmission face of the national Assembly shall be punished severely.
Another danger for drivers – likely to get into an accident, all for the same driving style local. But what is bad, even if you are right in the accident, chances of getting reimbursement is negligible, because the insurance of Russian companies do not apply here. So advice: if you are right in the accident, and not succumb to the entreaties to do without a call to GAI and to solve all amicably, otherwise the money for the repair you can not see.
As for pedestrians, they should be careful. Again, for the reason that local drivers do not particularly follow the rules, and regulated crossings with traffic lights is very small, when crossing the road be very careful. Before going on the road be sure to look in both directions, because the traffic in the opposite lane are not uncommon here.
Emergency telephone numbers in Abkhazia
- Firefighters, police and ambulance from a landline of any settlement: "01", "02", "03"
- The duty of the interior Ministry of Abkhazia in Sukhum: roaming: +7 (840) 226-41-41, + 7 (840) 226-14-38, from a landline phone or on the card of the local mobile operators: 226-41-41 or 226-14-38
- The duty of the Gagra police station: roaming: +7 (840) 234-11-71, public telephone or on the card of the local mobile operators: 234-11-71
- Helplines of the Ministry of internal Affairs of Abkhazia: + 7 (840) 229-72-73, + 7 (840) 229-73-00 ATC Sukhum, +7 (840) 234-22-41 police station in Gagra, + 7 (840) 229-74-30 the Minister of internal Affairs of Abkhazia
- The Ministry of emergency situations of Abkhazia: +7 (840) 226-30-49 (roaming), with cards of local mobile operators or fixed phones – 911 or 912