How to travel to Abkhazia by car
How to travel to Abkhazia on the machine
Drive the car to Abkhazia is possible only through the checkpoint "Psou", which is on the border with Russia (checkpoint Psou on the map) in the Krasnodar region, Sochi, Adler district, Veseloye. Passing through another checkpoint "Inguri", which is on the border of Georgia and Abkhazia (Enguri checkpoint on the map), for foreigners is closed.
Given that the entry on the territory of Abkhazia through the uncontrolled by the Georgian authorities the Psou checkpoint the Georgian law considers a violation of boundaries, vehicle access, without further consequences from the authorities of Georgia is possible only for Russian citizens, who can travel with internal Russian passports. The entry of citizens of other countries through the crossing on foreign passports can lead to the further prohibition of subsequent entry into Georgia (more information Visa to Abkhazia and visa regime).
The distance to Abkhazia from the major cities of Russia
- Moscow – Abkhazia – 1655 km.
- Saint Petersburg – Abkhazia – 2373 km.
- Kazan – Abkhazia – 2095 km.
- Samara – Abkhazia – 2000 km.
- Volgograd – Abkhazia – 1008 km.
- Rostov-na-Donu – Abkhazia – 586 km.
- Krasnodar – Abkhazia – 440 km.
The distance from the border of Abkhazia (Psou checkpoint) to resorts:
- Sukhum - 115 km.
- Gagra is 25 km away.
- Pitsunda is 60 km away.
- Gudauta is 70 km away.
- Cantrips -5 km.
- New Athos - 80km.
- Ochamchira is 170 km away.
What documents are required for entry by car to Abkhazia
A list of documents is extremely simple:
- Passport (best to enter on internal Russian passport, not foreign)
- The driver's license of the international sample (all Russian law is valid)
- Certificate of registration of the vehicle i.e. registration certificate
- If the car does not belong to you, need a notarized power of attorney, which is a permit to travel abroad (a regular power of attorney in the simple written form is not necessary).
No documents citizens of the Russian Federation on cars with Russian numbers to be filled in. You only need to go through customs and passport control and all. To pay a coupon of temporary registration of vehicle and proof of insurance is also not necessary. Information about payment of obligatory insurance fee for temporary card registration, which can be found on other sites, is not true.
But be sure to check before you travel to Abkhazia the presence of unpaid fines, or on the border you just will not be released (see is it possible to go to Abkhazia if you have debts).
Do I need insurance
Russian insurance policy in Abkhazia is not valid. Compulsory insurance at the border are not doing as well as you cannot insure the car at will. Therefore, it is better to go very cautiously, otherwise all damage will have to pay out of pocket.
But if you cannot insure the car, can at least take out travel insurance for the driver and passengers:
Travel grants occurs through the checkpoint "Psou" on the bridge. The checkpoint is open round the clock, seven days a week, but with a technical break from 01:00 to 03:00 and pereselenie from 07:45 to 08:15 and 19:45 to 20:15. Travel time boundaries is greatly increased during high season (June-August) and can be up to several hours, and in the absence of all minute. In high season it is best to cross the border at night, early morning (just after 08:00) or at least on weekdays, then less queues.
The border crossing consists of two parts: first, the passage of the Russian checkpoint, then you need a little to get to the checkpoint on the Abkhazian side and there re-examination procedures. There is no paperwork you do not need to pay too, nothing is required, all fees (insurance, vouchers registration) cancelled.
Most of the time you lose on the Russian side of the border, where they undergo a full customs inspection, passport check, registrations, unpaid fines and debts. Before the Russian checkpoint all passengers must get out and walk to the building where they are checked separately, and driver with vehicle should be next to the same checks and further transport on site. To go through the whole procedure faster, it is better to send passengers into the building before, yet you'll still stand in a queue of cars. True, there are signs that passengers are not to exit the car before entering the checkpoint, but nobody pays attention. After a checkpoint is the platform where passengers and a driver meet again and go on to the checkpoint on the Abkhazian side.
At the checkpoint of the Abkhaz side also carried out the verification of documents and customs inspection, but most of the cars with the Russian numbers fast pass after a cursory inspection and verification of documents.
Petrol in Abkhazia, where to refuel
Petrol in Abkhazia is cheaper than in Russia, about 2-3 rubles, so to go with a full tank makes no sense. There is a network of filling stations of "Rosneft" and the local gas station. Oddly enough, the cheapest gasoline at Rosneft, while local filling stations with strange names even more.
As they say, the local drivers can refuel at any gas station, petrol everywhere very good. We (the authors) have repeatedly refuel on Rosneft, no problems, feels like the fuel was good.
The list and addresses of gas stations Rosneft in Abkhazia:
- The Republic of Abkhazia, Gagra district, S. Lestarge
- The Republic of Abkhazia, Gagra district, p. Bzpt
- The Republic of Abkhazia, Sukhumi district, village of Gumista
All these stations are on the main road of the country.
Roads in Abkhazia and the situation on the roads
Before we get to the roads in Abkhazia, we will mention about the stretch of road on the Russian territory, which leads to entry into Abkhazia at the checkpoint "Psou". This road runs along the coast of the Black sea, through the towns of Big Sochi, and this is the only way here. If you have never been to Sochi, keep in mind that the site of the town of Dzhubga to CAT – a very challenging mountain winding road. Its length is 200 miles, but to drive it for 5-6 hours in good weather and the open road. And in high season (July-August) to get stuck here and for 8-10 hours. Gasoline in this area is consumed decently.
Now about the road environment around them in Abkhazia. The main road runs along Abkhazia's Black sea coast through all the resorts and large settlements. The road is good, little cars, traffic lights a little. But there are very "cool" of the hump, and if you do not want to repair the chassis or wheels of your car, pay attention to the speed limit signs and timely zamedliteli to 30 km/h Other roads are about the same as ours: in some places good and some places require serious repairs.
Local drivers do not always observe traffic rules, and do it sometimes right under the noses of the inspectors of local GAI. "Recklessness" and speeding is the norm, especially for young people behind the wheel. In the result, the tourists have a false sense that the way to go but it's not. Local traffic police do not pay attention to the local, because their main earnings in the holiday season focused on tourists. This is a big problem for Russian drivers who are already a little unaccustomed to the fact that they can "nightmare" the inspectors, and the case and without a case. Even the interior Minister of Abkhazia in 2016 forbade his subordinates to stop for no reason cars with foreign numbers, but the problem remained. Therefore be attentive and careful, avoid the temptation to violate traffic rules, looking for local. And be sure to use videoregistrator.
A lot of problems and takes animals on the road: cows, sheep. They absolutely freely walk and relax on the road, sometimes in places where you can overtake only in violation of the rules in the opposite lane. Be careful in such places, the local traffic police like to ambush.
Any traffic violations in Abkhazia provided for withdrawal rights. Return them after payment of a fine to the traffic police of the district where you committed the violation and return the right. Nikakih payment of fines via the Internet Bank or not. While relaxing is a waste of time, and what are the inspectors by offering to solve the problem on the spot.
Sometimes inspector to directly "throw" tourists for non-existent violations, such as speeding on the radar with another vehicle; violation of sign that he's actually not. So be careful and double check the violations that you impute, to the extent that you go back and check the signs.
And, keep in mind that in Abkhazia speeding are punishable for speeding more than 10km/h, not 20 like we have. Ie where the maximum speed of 60 km/h, you can't go above 70, otherwise get on 600-1800 rubles. The management of the national Assembly or the transmission face of the national Assembly shall be punished severely.
Here the fines for traffic violations in Abkhazia for reference:
- Driving without documents (license, registration) - 300 RUB.
- Driving without state license plates was 1,200 - 1,800 RUB
- Control the vehicle with unreadable non-standard or established with infringement of requirements of registration plates - 1200 - 1800 RUB.
- Exceeding the speed limit by 10 to 30 km/h - 600-1800 RUB.
- Violation of the rules of the location of vehicles on the roadway, stop, Parking - 600-1800 RUB.
- Speeding more than 30 km/h - 1800-3000 rubles or direction to retake the exam on traffic rules
- Journey on forbidding signal of a traffic light or traffic controller - 1800-3000 rubles or direction to retake the exam on traffic rules
- Failure to comply with traffic signs "Entrance is forbidden", "Movement is forbidden", "Danger" - 1800-3000 rubles or direction to retake the exam on traffic rules
- Crossing a solid line marking separating traffic flows in opposite directions 1800-3000 RUB or direction to retake the exam on traffic rules
- Not providing the benefits of moving the drivers of vehicles or pedestrians who have the right - 1800-3000 rubles or direction to retake the exam on traffic rules
- Management of intoxicated - 4800-6000 rubles or disqualification control from 1 to 2 years, or administrative arrest up to 15 days.
Addresses and contacts of GAI of Abkhazia and consulates
State automobile inspection of the Ministry of interior of the Republic of Abkhazia (GAI)
- Address: Sukhum, street of Heroes of the border guards, 3
- Phone: +7(840)222-51-17
- Tel./Fax +7(840) 222-23-80
- Trust tel: +7(940)775-22-77
- Website: http://mvdra.org/inform/355/
The Russian Embassy in Sukhumi
- Address: Sukhum, Lakoba St., 45
- phone: +7(840)226-36-93
- Fax: +7(840)226-56-93
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.abkhazia.mid.ru