Rip current and how to deal with it
Sea and ocean is a source of joy, pleasure, but also high risk. Every year the sad statistics updated with latest data about the drowned tourists. People are dying for various reasons, however, one of the hidden dangers which sometimes can not cope even experienced swimmers, is the rip current.
Rip current, also called reverse wave, breaking wave, "Tyagun", Rip Curentinsidiously that carry man further and further from the shore. And in an unsuccessful attempt to return, the swimmer loses all power and dies in the water. Experts have developed rules of conduct that will help the people caught in the rip to escape and get safely to the shore. But first a bit of theory.
What is a rip current, reverse wave
Rip Current is a type of sea and ocean currents, appearing in the coastline during low tide. At the time when the water previously came to the shore at high tide, with different intensity begins to retreat back into the sea, formed this wave is. The course, which is called bounce is always directed perpendicular to the coastline.
Where and what time meets Rip Current
"Rip" may be formed during the low tide, near the shore. However, it occurs not everywhere, but only in those places where the bottom topography contributes to this. More specifically, there must be a bottleneck for the water outlet, which may be formed of coral reefs, rocks or just sand. What is bad, this relief may be hidden by the water, and to determine the possible formation of the impact wave is visually impossible.
How to recognize a rip current
Professionals say that the "rip" can be recognized by their appearance. If you look at the sea surface, you can see a kind of corridor, width of about three meters, formed by return flow. If the flow rate is small (about 5 km/h) similar non-hazardous places.
Threat to life had a greater impact flow, the flow rate which has 15 km/h. Therefore, before bathing, you need to carefully look at the water. The main visual signs of a reverse wave following:
- on the surface of the visible channel of churning water directed perpendicular to the coastline. The steady movement captures the flow of sea vegetation and forms a foam;
- outside the "rip" in the coastal zone, the water changes its color. If the sea surface is predominantly greenish or bluish, for she is white (so acts the waste stream);
- on the waves of visible steady gap whose width in the middle reaches of 5-10 meters.
Spontaneous reverse wave
The Flash Rip is the reverse ocean current that occurs suddenly and without any visual manifestations. This type of waves are especially dangerous, as they are able to pull in the ocean, even an adult, standing in water waist-deep.
What to do to avoid death in a pneumatic flow how to be saved
If the person is captured within rescuers recommended to follow this sequence of actions:
- No need to panic. A state of panic and fear forced to expend energy on meaningless activities. Most people are drowning due to the inability to fight and the loss of power. Better to calm down and realize that "rip" is not a funnel, it will not drag on the bottom. This surface current, from which you can easily get out of, if done right.
- Saving energy. Not just to swim back to shore, this is the wrong action. Better to do nothing than panic spending power, and there will be more chances to get out when the demolition wave will pass.
- Do not go to the shore and along it. You must realize that the rip current has a width that is rare when it happens greater than 50 meters. It is advisable to move along the shore to leave the treacherous area and then head onto land, and not to shovel the wasted water and expend power, while remaining in place. "Rip" tends to quickly wear off, so you should have patience: in one hundred metres from the shore it loses its power, and it is possible to swim and move to the coast.
- Do not swim to shore as soon as I get out of the thread. Reverse flow extends closer to the shore, and therefore have a chance to get back into it, but you will have little strength. Therefore, it is necessary to depart even a little from the stream, and then to go to the shore.
Every person can fight with a pneumatic flow. If this struggle according to the rules described above, it is possible to swim out of any difficult situation.
From my experience, many independent travel this is what I want to say. As correctly said above - the first trip should take ALWAYS! No matter what you never hurt and the condition now like the Buffalo. Believe me, in travelling, especially long distance, your body is very vulnerable. And the immune status greatly reduce the change of climate, water, food.
In my first aid kit No. 1 are funds from poisoning. With it, they do not have can be picked up in a hot Asian. For example, my husband "covered" pure glacial water in Greenland. So the organism has become accustomed to our normal water with impurities that clean water is not perceived. And my pancreas rejected on the Galapagos Islands because of the heat and greasy food. And better to have a proven medication that you know exactly what work. Because, for example, to go to the hospital, even for insurance, I would not recommend the countries of South America. There is not very clean and you can pick up a lot more. Me on the same Galapagos knocked the big dog and I sprained my leg, so I had to go to the hospital to rule out a fracture. And while I sat and waited in the er for a medical examination, beside me on the couch lay a man, who was vomiting. He was given a bowl, but no one even cared about basic hygiene, he was lying on filthy sheets, which I then offered to "lay down" for inspection... Well it was horrible and I thought that only not to get him an intestinal infection, which in hot climates breed at the speed of light.
Be sure to carry around alcohol hand sanitizer and wipe everything you touch with your hands. And exceptiona ...
This is very important. ...
We plan first time to go to rest with your child.
Very worried, first aid kit collect 5 times its complement.
Worried about one problem, the baby allergic. We've got used to it, understand that she can go an allergic reaction, immediately trying to get away from it and taking medication.
From allergies bought a few options, but still afraid what if they don't fit ...
If you are afraid, take your normal insurance.
I don't know where you are going and, accordingly, the insurance I can not advise. ...
And here is what information You want to obtain? ...
Information about the possibility that someone faced with the problem of Allergy to anything new and can give some useful advice regarding the medications that may purchased it abroad
I do not quite understand Your misunderstanding ...
Don't you think that such information should be obtained from specialists?
We're in the majority, not the doctors. ...
Don't you think that the information that You have stated, not even enough to communicate with the doctor?
And here, in fact, travel forum... ...
So I'm with the doctors here to chat and not going
The travel forum, but the topic is "health Safety while traveling", respectively
Useful article, thanks. Especially in the journey, it is necessary to carefully choose the food, otherwise there is a risk to spend it in the arms of "white friend" ...