The city and province of Dien bien Phu
Dien bien Phu (Dien Bien Phu, DBP is Dien bien Phu) is the city capital of the eponymous province in the Northwest of Vietnam, 450 km from Hanoi and the border with Laos (Lao Cai on the map). This is one of the largest cities in this part of the country, its population more than 100 thousand people.
In March and may of 1954, there had been a Grand battle, which ended the French colonial regime in Vietnam. It is these events, the city may be of interest to the rare tourists who come here. More Dien bien Phu is notable because it is home to a large number of ethnic minorities of North Vietnam, but here they make up more than half of the population.
Through Dien bien Phu is a popular bus route from Sapa and Hanoi to the Laos city of Luang Prabang, Ming, Choi (Muang khua then) through 10 kilometers of the border crossing. Most tourists driving through town in Laos without stopping. But if you have to stay here for the night to change the bus or just for exploring the town, in the city you will find the necessary minimum conditions: a couple of dozen hotels and guesthouses, cafes, shopping center. Nothing special for the tourists here no, I know English very few residents.
Hotels in Dien bien Phu you can book at the following sites:
- Search hotels in Dien bien Phu on Agoda.com
- Search hotels in Dien bien Phu on Booking.com
- Search hotels in Dien bien Phu on Hotellook.com
- Looking for accommodation in Dien bien Phu on Airbnb
Hotels in Dien bien Phu on the map
How to get to Dien bien Phu
In Dienbienphu can be reached by plane from Hanoi, the bus from Hanoi, Sapa, Lao Cai, Hai Phong and other cities in the North of Vietnam and also from Laos. If you need to know how to get to Laos from Sapa via Dien bien Phu, see here.
The city has an airport, where are two flights from Hanoi daily, no more flight no. The airport is almost in the city centre it can be reached even on foot in 20 minutes (airport map).
Unfortunately, buses do not go here, only local regular. The bus is comfortable and convenient, some of them sleeping, but uncomfortable fact that the tickets they need to buy the bus station, and departure from stations (a bus station on the map). Exception: tickets from Sapa, which are sold in travel agencies in the city. Here is information about the schedule, which we managed to raise (as of the beginning of 2019.):
- From Sapa and Lao Cai to Dien bien Phu. Bus from Lao Cai departs at 17:30, and picks up additional passengers from Sapa at about 18:30. Cost 250 000 VND (692.05 RUB, see all about the money of Vietnam and the exchange rate) if you purchase at the bus station.
- From Hanoi to Dien bien Phu. Buses depart from the station, My Dinh and Yen Ghia at 17:30 – 19:00 (night), the price of 300,000 VND (830.46 RUB).
- From Dien bien Phu to Minh Khoa (Muang Khoa) at 05:30, 115, 000 Dong (318.34 RUB)
- From Dien bien Phu to Udomxai (Udomxay) at 06:00, 230 000 (636.69 RUB)
- From Dien bien Phu to Luang Nam TA (Luang Nam Tha) at 06:30 and 07:30, 350 000 (968.87 RUB)
- From Dien bien Phu in Bokeo (Bo Keo) at 06:15, 560 000 (1550.19 RUB)
- From Dien bien Phu to Phongsali (Phong Sa Ly) at 07:15, 345 000 (955.03 RUB)
- From Dien bien Phu to Luang Prabang (Luang Prabang) at 06:00 and 07:00, 402, 000 and 495 000 (1112.82 RUB)
Dien bien Phu attractions, what to see
Dien bien Phu is a very picturesque mountain province, inhabited by a large number of ethnic nationalities, but unfortunately, to see them uneasy. Since there is completely no tourist infrastructure, tours, trekking routes to see the beauty of the province can only come here by rented transport from Sapa or Hanoi.
But if you were staying in town at least for one day, you can get acquainted with the historical sights connected with the famous battle of Dien bien Phu. To look at these places you can own on foot, since the town is small and everything is close by.
Monument A1 Hill monument
Hill, who played an important strategic role during the battle. Upstairs via stairs and a concrete path. There is a tank, a huge crater from aerial bombs, fortifications.
🕐 Operation time: from 06:00 to 17:30
💵 Entrance fee / ticket price: 15 000 VND (41.52 rubles.)
🚶 How to get there: hill A1 on the map.
Dien Bien Phu Museum
Very modern military Museum that tells about the battle. A lot of weapons, documents, photos.
🕐 Operation time: from 06:30 to 17:45
💵 Entrance fee / ticket price: 15 000 VND
🚶 How to get there: the Museum on the map.
The bunker of General de Castries (Bunker of Colonel de Castries)
Recreated the bunker of General De Castries, head of the French army.
🕐 Time of work: round the clock
💵 Entrance fee / ticket price: 5,000 VND
🚶 How to get there: the bunker on the map.
Military cemetery in Dien Bien Phu Cemetery
Here are buried the soldiers of the Vietnamese resistance, who died during the battle.
🕐 Operation time: from 06:00 to 18:00
💵 Entrance fee / ticket price: free
🚶 How to get there: the cemetery on the map.