Guide to Kanchanaburi
General information of Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi (Kanchanaburi) is a city and province in Central Thailand, West of Bangkok (Kanchanaburi map Thailand). The city itself is quite small, its population of a little over 50 thousand people. In this province though not densely populated, but the area ranks third in the country, accounting for 19 483 square that is approximately two times smaller than the area of the Moscow region.
And the city and province are a popular tourist sightseeing places. Special popularity of this region was because there are famous railway bridge over the river Kwai (River Kwai), which was built during the Second World war, the Western prisoners of war, captured by the Japanese. Et the most famous historical attractions of this province, related to the tragic events that occurred in the pow camp during the construction of the railway bridge, and was later reflected in the novel and filmed. In addition to the bridge in Kanchanaburi is home to several museums of World war II, the military memorial cemetery, there is a pleasant tourist atmosphere. An abundance of entertainment in town, but the village can not say: there are many bars and restaurants, night market.
But the bridge over the river Kwai – not only that attracts tourists. The province is considered one of the most beautiful in the Central part of Thailand. Here is several national parks; the largest and most beautiful falls in Thailand – Erawan; caves; several waterfalls; hot radon sources; elephant parks where you can ride these animals through the jungle, or to look after them. Also the province is on the border with Myanmar (Burma), and tourists can cross the border crossing in this country.
More on Kanchanaburi province are several unique historical and cultural attractions that will amaze with its scale and beauty, but is little known among tourists. So, you should definitely visit the historical Park Prasat Muang Sing, reminiscent of the Khmer ANKOR Wat in miniature. And the tiger cave Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tham Suea) is one of the most interesting and beautiful temples of Thailand, and by far the most beautiful in the province. In addition to the beautiful statues and sculptures of Buddha, it houses the mummy of a monk.
Especially popular among tourists for sightseeing tours in Kanchanaburi for one or two nights with popular resorts in Central Thailand, such as Pattaya, Hua hin, the island of Samet, Koh Chang etc. During such tours, depending on the tour, visit historic and natural attractions, bathing in hot springs, ride elephants through the jungle and swim off in the river, do rafting on the river Kwai, and spend the night in floating hotel or a campground in the National Park. These tours are offered everywhere, but their routes generally pretty standard, pass through the beaten paths.
If such a route you are not satisfied, it can be much cheaper and without any difficulties to travel to Kanchanaburi yourself, which is not difficult even experienced tourists. To do this, see our detailed guide to the city and Kanchanaburi Province for independent travellers:
- As how to get to Kanchanaburi, than to move on
- Hotels where to stay in Kanchanaburi
- Attractions in Kanchanaburi, things to see
- Attractions Kanchanaburi province, what to see
- Map of Kanchanaburi province
Weather in Kandersteg, tourist seasons
Although Kanchanaburi is not a beach resort, the season of the year to visit the province is also important. And although the heat here year round, during the rainy season impressions of the city can be much worse. Just here there are three seasons throughout the year:
- The hot season from February to may. This is the hottest time of the year, the temperature reaches 38 degrees, rain a little bit.
- The rainy season is from June to October. This is the rainy season, strong rains and cloudiness, especially in June and sometimes the rains start in may. In General, the time is not right and low tourist season, but if there's no other way, it can not go in this time. Just keep in mind that for a few hours a day you can go powerful showers, and make beautiful pictures not to be due to obscuring clouds of the sky.
- The dry season (cold season) from November to January. At this time, a bit of rain, and the best temperature for travel – at about 25 degrees. This is the high season.
Seasons in Kanchanaburi months:
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Weather in Kanchanaburi and forecast
The tourist infrastructure in Kanchanaburi province
Kanchanaburi province – this is not a godforsaken place. Here is almost everywhere, even in the most remote towns and villages, you can find accommodation, and tourists are welcomed anywhere. Especially popular are the floating hotels on the river Kwai, and advanced travelers can stay in a tent in the campgrounds of national parks.
But the main tourist center with a developed infrastructure is located in Kanchanaburi. It is from here that you should start your journey through the province, because there is a large number of hotels, guesthouses and hostels, many travel agencies offer tours to the province, rental cars and motorcycles massage and Spa. Here also is the tourist street with bars, restaurants and shops.
Shopping in Kanchanaburi
The city of Kanchanaburi can not be called a shopping centre, but here you can buy Souvenirs and goods that cannot be found elsewhere. One of the main Souvenirs that you can bring out the elephant paper. Is this paper, which is made from the waste of elephants. Of course, not sold the paper, and made of her Souvenirs: paintings, paper lanterns and lamps. Such Souvenirs are sold only in special shops operating at elephant farms, at markets and in shops of the city we find a paper could not. Even the province and the city is famous as the place de can be purchased illegally imported from Myanmar precious and semi-precious stones and jewelry from them. They are literally crammed markets in the city center near the bridge over the river Kwai. However, to make expensive purchases, unless you actually are an expert on stones, here, we would not recommend. But to buy something as inexpensive souvenir for a few dollars is quite possible.
The main tourist trade is concentrated in the center city of Kanchanaburi near the bridge. It has a large market, River Kwai Park Market, and a few small and individual markets and shops. Are also street vendors, there are network supermarket of Souvenirs OTOP. Prices from different sellers differ, so you need to go and compare, and bargain. In the evening (approximately after 16 hours) most traders is minimized, leaving only the sellers of fast food and small Souvenirs.
If you need to buy something more serious, on the main street, Sangchuto Raod you will find a hypermarket, Big-C, and in the South of the city there is a large Tesco Lotus. Next to the city bus station throughout the day to the local market in Kanchanaburi Town Local Market. You will not find tourist goods, but a lot of cheap consumer goods. Oh and don't forget with the coming of darkness (usually after 18:00) to visit the night market in Kanchanaburi, which, however, is more a tourist attraction than venue for shopping.
Useful information on Kanchanaburi
- Banks and ATMs. The city has offices of all major national banks and their ATMs. They are mainly concentrated in the area of the bus station.
- Currency exchange. The city has several currency exchange offices, mostly near the bridge over the river Kwai and on the streets of Mae Num Kwai Road. Also exchange money at the banks. The rate is slightly lower than in Bangkok and in the resorts. Exchange offices work from 09:00 to 17:00 seven days a week.
- Tourist information. The tourist information office (TAT) is located on the street Sangchuto road, (office on the map). Here you can take a free kartie province, tourist brochures and other information, to book excursions. Also maps and brochures are available at the Desk in the tourist police booth near the bridge over the river Kwai.
- Good hostel near to railway station. One of the most convenient places to stop backpackers hostel is a Hostel Asleep. It is in walking distance from the railway station, Kanchanaburi, almost is a night market, and before the start of the tourist street it is a 10-minute walk.