Guide to Kanchanaburi
General information of Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi (Kanchanaburi) is a city and province in Central Thailand, West of Bangkok (Kanchanaburi map Thailand). The city itself is quite small, its population of a little over 50 thousand people. In this province though not densely populated, but the area ranks third in the country, accounting for 19 483 square that is approximately two times smaller than the area of the Moscow region.
And the city and province are a popular tourist sightseeing places. Special popularity of this region was because there are famous railway bridge over the river Kwai (River Kwai). It was built during the Second World war, the Western prisoners of war, captured by the Japanese. The tragic events that occurred in the pow camp during the construction of the railroad and the bridge was later reflected in the novel and filmed. In addition to the bridge in Kanchanaburi is home to several museums of World war II, the military memorial cemetery, there is a pleasant tourist atmosphere. An abundance of entertainment in town, Noi village not call him. There are many bars and restaurants, night market.
But the bridge over the river Kwai – not only that attracts tourists. The province is considered one of the most beautiful in the Central part of Thailand. Here is several national parks; the largest and most beautiful falls in Thailand – Erawan; caves; several waterfalls; hot radon sources; elephant parks where you can ride these animals through the jungle, or to look after them. Also the province is on the border with Myanmar (Burma), and tourists can cross the border crossing in this country.
Another province are several unique historical and cultural attractions, which impress with their scale and beauty, but is little known among tourists. Should definitely visit the historical Park Prasat Muang Sing, reminiscent of the Khmer ANKOR Wat in miniature. And the tiger cave Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tham Suea) is one of the most interesting and beautiful temples of Thailand, and by far the most beautiful in Kanchanaburi province. In addition to the beautiful statues and sculptures of Buddha, it houses the mummy of a monk.
Especially popular among tourists for sightseeing tours in Kanchanaburi for one or two nights with popular resorts in Central Thailand, such as Pattaya, Hua hin, the island of Samet, Koh Chang etc. During such tours, depending on the tour, visit historic and natural attractions, bathing in hot springs, ride elephants through the jungle and swim off in the river, do rafting on the river Kwai, and spend the night in floating hotel or a campground in the National Park. These tours are offered everywhere, but their routes generally pretty standard, pass through the beaten paths.
If such a route you are not satisfied, it can be much cheaper and without any difficulties to travel to Kanchanaburi yourself, which is not difficult even experienced tourists. To do this, see our detailed guide to the city and Kanchanaburi Province for independent travellers:
- As how to get to Kanchanaburi, than to move on
- Hotels where to stay in Kanchanaburi
- Attractions in Kanchanaburi, things to see
- Attractions Kanchanaburi province, what to see
- Map of Kanchanaburi province
Weather in Kandersteg, tourist seasons
Although Kanchanaburi is not a beach resort, the season of the year to visit the province is also important. And although the heat here year round, during the rainy season impressions of the city can be much worse. Just here there are three seasons throughout the year:
- The hot season from February to may. This is the hottest time of the year, the temperature reaches 38 degrees, rain a little bit.
- The rainy season is from June to October. This is the rainy season, strong rains and cloudiness, especially in June and sometimes the rains start in may. In General, the time is not right and low tourist season, but if there's no other way, it can not go in this time. Just keep in mind that for a few hours a day you can go powerful showers, and make beautiful pictures not to be due to obscuring clouds of the sky.
- The dry season (cold season) from November to January. At this time, a bit of rain, and the best temperature for travel – at about 25 degrees. This is the high season.
Seasons in Kanchanaburi months:
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Weather in Kanchanaburi and forecast
Useful information on Kanchanaburi
- Banks and ATMs. The city has offices of all major national banks and their ATMs. They are mainly concentrated in the area of the bus station.
- Currency exchange. The city has several currency exchange offices, mostly near the bridge over the river Kwai and on the streets of Mae Num Kwai Road. Also exchange money at the banks. The rate is slightly lower than in Bangkok and in the resorts. Exchange offices work from 09:00 to 17:00 seven days a week.
- Tourist information. The tourist information office (TAT) is located on the street Sangchuto road, (office on the map). Here you can get free maps, travel brochures and other information, arrange tours of the province. Also maps and brochures are available at the Desk in the tourist police booth near the bridge over the river Kwai.