Tourist information about Unawatuna
General information about Unawatuna
Unawatuna (Unawatuna, Google map Unawatuna) is a small coastal town (rather village) on the South coast of Sri Lankaand a popular tourist destination for a beach holiday. Unawatuna is just a few kilometers from the larger town of Galle, capital of the homonymous County and is a suburb or district. From Colombo and the main international airport of the country separates Unawatuna, 120 kilometres (Unawatuna on the map of Sri Lanka). Earlier this place was a tiny fisherman village, but with the arrival of tourists the place has evolved, and today there is always even more than the locals.
Unawatuna is one of the most popular places for a beach holiday in Sri Lanka, especially among independent travelers. Popular on the island, she concedes, is that the only Hikkaduwa and Bentota. The main feature and advantage of the resort is that you can relax almost all year round. The main beach resort is conveniently located in the Bay but still protected from the waves by a coral reef, so even in strong wind, the sea here is much calmer than at other beaches. At that time, like staying in Hikkaduwa, Bentota and other popular resorts in some seasons becomes impossible due to wind and strong waves in Unawatuna the sea remains calm.
The main part of tourists here – independent tourists. This contributes, first and foremost, the lack of large hotels and complexes with a developed infrastructure and its territory suitable for package holidays. The properties that are in Unawatuna in the bulk are small hotels and guesthouses, and many of them formed directly in the homes of local residents (real homemade guesthouses). The rest of the tourist infrastructure is rather developed, there is everything for recreation and entertainment. In the main street area (street Wella Dewala Rd) is the set of travel agencies, shops, restaurants and cafes, a currency exchange, motorbike rental and Bicycle. Beach area here is also well developed: there are water sports, umbrellas and sunbeds, and all along the beach chain of cafes and bars.
Facilities here include water sports and entertainment, snorkeling, diving, Hiking in the nearby massif of the jungle, or go to the nearby southern beaches. For surfers, this place is not suitable, the waves are too weak. The attractions here are almost there, so if you like something interesting, you have to go on trips or take a car and drive around the island and the surrounding area. One of the most interesting places close by – the city of Halle, which, by the way, it is easy to visit independently by bus or taxi.
Night life in Unawatuna is not very developed, but it is. On Saturdays and Fridays in the bars right on the beach arranged a noisy progressive party, and on weekdays late night bars twist progressive house, chill-out, play live music. Youth is always a lot, and it is realistic to organize a party on the beach.
As for shopping, that is, except for shop and shops for tourists, a couple of fruit markets and a liquor store a couple of kilometers from Unawatuna centre, no shops and supermarkets here. There are a couple of modest supermarkets on the road Matara road. If you need to buy something big, electronics, find a pharmacy to go to Galle. Bank one in Unawatuna, located on the street Yaddehimulla rd.
Now, as for the beaches in Unawatuna and quality. There is only one main beach with a length on the strength of 1 kilometer. To say that this beach is perfect may be a stretch, but for some strange reason many well-known sources on the Internet and TV channels (in particular, the Discovery channel) hard to be included in the top ten beaches in the world. Actually, really suitable for recreation and swimming part of the beach width is only 500 metres away, and the rest part is occupied by restaurants and hotels, who built their structure on the dam, looking out to sea. So here even it is impossible to pass the entire beach from beginning to end, respectively, of long walks along the shore you can forget. Remaining suitable for recreation and swimming part of the beach is quite good, but to an ideal still falls short. Perhaps its main advantage is the absence of waves (to say that here waves is not at all impossible, but all the hedgehog they are small and harmless) almost in every season the shore is protected by a coral reef. Palm trees on the shore there. The sand is fine and clean, the beach is constantly cleaned. The slope of the bottom is normal, so even at low tide you can swim. However, in some places the bottom is very sharp, but shallow areas for swimming with the kids there. In addition to the main beach in walking distance there is a beautiful small beach, Jungle Beach, and if you go East, you can relax on the beaches of Dalawella, Koggalle etc. to the Tangalle.
Weather in Unawatuna, seasons, when to go
Unawatuna is a year – round season. Although there is also a low season due to the rainy season, it is much softer here than at other resorts. One reason for this is the protection of the beach from the waves, and in that time, as at other resorts to swim is simply impossible and dangerous, it is possible here.
High seasonand best time to visit (and also most expensive) is from December to April. Of course, the peak of the influx of tourists and rising prices is in January.
Low season and prices drop falls on the summer months. The rainiest months are may, October and November. But inside this time, you can highlight another season - July and August. Weather in these months slightly improved, and the protection of the Bay of Unawatuna, even in the midst of the monsoon season where you can swim.
The tourist seasons in Unawatuna months*
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Current weather in Unawatuna and forecast
- Aug 250:00+20°C1m/sRH. 98%
- Aug 259:00+22°C2m/sRH. 93%
- Aug 2518:00+21°C2m/sRH. 97%
- Aug 263:00+20°C1m/sRH. 98%
- Aug 2612:00+21°C2m/sRH. 97%
- Aug 2621:00+21°C2m/sRH. 99%
- Aug 276:00+20°C1m/sRH. 99%
- Aug 2715:00+22°C2m/sRH. 97%
- Aug 280:00+21°C1m/sRH. 99%
- Aug 289:00+22°C1m/sRH. 91%
- Aug 2818:00+23°C3M/sRH. 94%
- 29 Aug3:00+21°C1m/sRH. 99%
* forecast is based on the local time. Data received https://openweathermap.org. If the dates are outdated, please refresh the page using F5+Ctrl.
Useful tips for Unawatuna
- Main street car Park. Basic life in Unawatuna is centered around the narrow streets Welle Dewalaya, not along the main road Matara road. The entire infrastructure is concentrated along it.
- Entertainment in Unawatuna. Noisy parties in Unawatuna are only on Fridays and Saturdays in Happy Banana, Kingfisher and Riddeem. The rest of the time it's quiet but you can always find a bar with proper music.
- Liquor store in Unawatuna. Alcohol is freely available (not in restaurants and bars) in most Unvote not for sale. The nearest shop is about a 20 minute walk at Matara rd towards Matara (look for the liquor store on our interactive map Unawatuna)
- Currency exchange in Unawatuna. Currency exchange in Unawatuna there are at least two places: in the Bank Sanasa street Yaddehimulla, and in the exchange office on the street Welle Dewalaya in the area of Hotel the dunes.
- ATM in Unawatuna. The ATM in the resort area of Unawatuna there. The nearest ATM is located on Matara road, two kilometers in the direction of Galle (see map)
- Travel to Galle. If you plan to stay in Unawatuna more than a week, you will have to master the ways on how to get to Galle. The fact that there is only the most necessary, but for something even more or less serious have to go to Galle. Even the money exchange or ATMs are easier to find in Galle.