Negombo: tourist information, weather, seasons, time
General information about Negombo
Negombo (Negombo) is a major city in Sri Lanka, on the West coast, 30 kilometers from Colombo (see Negombo map of Sri Lanka). The city is the fourth largest in the country (with a population of 128 000). He is known as one of the largest centers for fishing in the country, and here every day a large fresh fish market, which with interest visited including tourists as one of the attractions.
Negombo is a special city of Sri Lanka. Historically that it is home to a large number of Catholics. Around the city as attractions you can see Catholic churches, crosses, images of Jesus.
The proximity of Negombo to the main gate to the country, the international airport Bandaranaike, and the presence of beaches make it one of the most visited places in the country. Not many tourists spend here your whole vacation, but since this is the nearest tourist destination to the airport (much closer than Colombo) and here it is much easier to reach, the city is often used as a staging base for a short break to field a long flight before continuing on to Sri Lanka.
Holidays in Negombo
The city has a quite developed tourist infrastructure, which develops actively. In General, in our opinion, is the most developed resort in Sri Lanka in terms of tourism infrastructure, and if not for his sad beaches, it would be clearly the best resort of the island. But, unfortunately, the beaches here are very mediocre, if you compare with the rest of Sri Lanka.
Despite the fact that many travel sites selling tours in Negombo, hyping it on their pages as a popular resort with unspoilt beaches and lots of attractions you should be wary of such descriptions. The reality is very different from statements of travel agencies, and objectively Negombo is one of the most unfortunate beach resorts of Sri Lanka. Here is really a medium quality beach, but compared to the beaches at other resorts Sri Lanka local beaches – this is almost a dump.
The water in the ocean here most of the time murky because of the waves and silt, which bring canals and rivers. Most of the urban beach outside of the tourist area is dirty and not cleaned. Of water sports, umbrellas and sun beds on the beaches are almost there, except for a few places near the expensive hotels. What else is bad - very sharp slope, almost a cliff. The only advantage of the beach in Negombo is that they are very extensive and spacious. Almost in all its length of 3 kilometers sand strip anything not interrupted, and its width in some places reaches more than 100 meters. Ciate read more about the beaches and Negombo here...
At the same time, in Negombo formed one of the most comfortable and peaceful tourist areas along the coast, very different from the fussy and noisy city centre. There are many restaurants, cafes, shopping centers, and even some night life at the hotels. But still to spend here the whole vacation lovers the perfect beach holiday is strictly not necessary.
However, this is really a good and convenient place to start or end your journey in Sri Lanka, thanks to the proximity of the airport and the convenience to reach it, but not the main place to stay. Perhaps in some sense it can be a convenient base from which to visit other places of the island in a rented car or motorbike to hire a guide with own transport. Here you can purchase multi-day tours around the country.
There are other objective advantages in Negombo: here are some of the lowest prices for food and accommodation compared to other popular resorts of Sri Lanka. Tourist area in General, well packaged, cafes, restaurants, hotels and shops, there are many alcohol shops (see about the alcohol in Sri Lanka, here). And indeed, the very presence of the tourist area of Negombo provides many advantages. Also Negombo is known as a good place for diving thanks to the three reefs, located about 20 kilometers from the coast. One of these reefs is considered the best in the country. And another plus, Negombo is practically a year-round resort, though conditionally allocated the rainy season.
Weather, tourist seasons in Negombo
Negombo is a year – round season. Throughout the year the temperature is kept at 29C, humidity is very high. But is the low season and high season.
High season. The best time to visit Negombo is the period from December to March. During this period, almost no rain (dry season), and observed the influx of tourists.
The low season. The low season lasts from April to November. At this time drops a large enough rainfall, however even during this period can have a good rest. The most rainy months: may, October (maximum rainfall) and November. From June to August the rainfall is not too large.
The tourist seasons in Negombo months*
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Current weather in Negombo and forecast
Hotels in Negombo where to stay
The hotels here are among the cheapest among the resorts of Sri Lanka. Find budget accommodation in Negombo not be easy, especially in low season. Prices are quite decent and clean accommodation in local guesthouses start from 1,500 rupees (526.08 RUB, refer to the currency of Sri Lanka, the exchange rate) for two people without air conditioning, but everywhere you have to bargain. Depending on the season and the greed of the owners, the initial price may be referred to several times higher, but to bring down prices is possible and necessary in almost any Guesthouse in any season.
If you want to get a good hotel with amenities, where you can not only sleep, but also relax, it makes sense to select and book in advance. Well, if you plan to stay in Negombo for a few days or more, then there is a real sense to choose a hotel with a pool, as the local ocean water is not too suitable for swimming.
And another tip: if you arrive in Negombo late in the evening or at night, you should book accommodation in advance, and to warn owners of the possibility that you will arrive late. The fact that some of the guesthouses and hotels are closed here for the night tightly and you just can't move.
Find and book a hotel in Negombo can on these sites or via the search form from Agoda:
- Search for hotels in Negombo on Agoda.com
- Search for hotels in Negombo on Booking.com
- Search for hotels in Negombo on Hotellook.com
- Looking for accommodation in Negombo on Airbnb
How to get to Negombo
Negombo is the closest resort to the main international airport Katunayake (Colombo airport). From the airport can be reached by taxi in 15-20 minutes and 1,500 rupees (526.08 RUB), local bus no. 240 (50 rupees) or tuk tuk (800 rupees).
Easier and cheaper to order a taxi through Uber or local app PickMe. In the past there are even tuk-tuks and motorcycle taxis sometimes appear. The drive through the app will cost 600 rupees, a tuk tuk from 500.
From the main bus station in Colombo (Pettah district) to Negombo bus No. 240, the fare of 70 rupees to go 1.5-2 hours. Departs at least every 30 minutes. More large high-speed Express bus costs 195 rupees, but he goes on the highway much faster than normal.
Very convenient to reach from Colombo by train. Every day here from Colombo from Colombo Fort station departs around 5 trains worth about 50 rupees, in the way 1-1. 5 hours. It's not long-distance trains, but something like our trains (commuter trains). Sometimes they are very crowded, so you have to stand. Tickets from Colombo are purchased at the station in the window of No. 10 an hour before departure, no advance sales.
The bus to Negombo can be reached from many other cities of Sri Lanka. There are flights to/from Kandy, Anuradhapura, Trincomalee, Polonnaruwa, North to Kalpitiya; to Kurunegala, from where you can bus in all the cities of Central Sri Lanka. To the southern cities and beaches in the country better to go through Colombo. From virtually anywhere in the country to reach Negombo by bus during daylight hours, even if the route will pass with transfers.
Read more about all the ways how and what to get to Negombo here...
Attractions in Negombo things to see
Attractions in Negombo a bit. This is mainly the Catholic Church, there are several Hindu and Buddhist temples, mosques. The most interesting place is the local fish markets. Only two of them, but enough to see at least one. Numerous channels and lagoons divide the entire city into pieces, along which are located the homes of local residents, the boats were simple fishermen. At desire it is possible to negotiate with fishermen on a small tour of the canal or lagoon, to see the surrounding flora and fauna, or to the advantage of the few travel agencies.
Travel agencies on the streets of the tourist district you can buy tours to all corners of the country.
Read more about sights of Negombo here...
Useful tips for Negombo
- Currency exchange in Negombo. You can exchange money in the tourist area, but the best rates can be found in the exchange offices in the commercial district of the city on the Main st. or Green st. It is true there will have to search and bargain for the best rate, because the difference between the exchange offices, are in one step from each other, can reach two rupees per dollar.
- Shopping and shops in Negombo. In a tourist area you can find a lot of shops with Souvenirs and other tourist stuff, shops with products. But if you need to buy something more serious, you should get to the commercial area of the city. Almost all the streets of Main Street and Green Street crammed with shops, there is even a shopping centre.
- Food in Negombo. In the heart of the tourist area is full of cafes and restaurants, but if you want to eat cheaply, find inexpensive places to local again, in a commercial area of the city. Eat there about two times cheaper than in the tourist area, however it will not be a tourist restaurant.
- The tuk-tuks. Tuk-tuks – the most common local public transport. But be sure to bargain before each trip, as tourists are called the rates too high at times.
- Mobile communications. Find points of sale of SIM cards and their top up easy in the tourist district. Read more about mobile communication and Internet in Sri Lanka here.
- Negombo fish market. If you decide to visit the local fish market (and it should be done because this is one of the most striking sights of the city), you should do it early in the morning at least at 5 am.
- The Beaches Of Negombo. Bathing beaches are just along the street Lewis lilace. All the coast to the South (in the direction of the fish market, along the streets of the Sea St. and Alles rd.) busy with fishing boats and tackle, littered with local residents whose homes are located directly on the beach. Swimming and walking there is not comfortable.
- Where to find hotels or guesthouses in Negombo. If you arrive in the city without a pre-booked hotel, you should go directly to the street Lewis lilace. This is the best and almost the only place in town where you can find a lot of placements. Cm. more hotels and areas in Negombo.
- Russian language in Negombo. Here, as in almost all resorts of Sri Lanka, you can find signs and menus in Russian at almost every step. So even without knowledge of the English language will not be major problems.