Tourist information about Hikkaduwa Sri Lanka
General information about Hikkaduwa
Hikkaduwa (Hikkaduwa, Chicagoi, Hikkaduwa) is a small town and a popular resort on the West coast of Sri Lanka, about 100 kilometers South of Colombo (Hikkaduwa on the map of Sri Lanka). Although Hikkaduwa and relate to the West coast, is actually located almost in the very South of the island. The city's population – slightly more than 100 000 people.
Like many other popular resorts all over the world, Hikkaduwa was originally "discovered" colonies of hippies in the 70-ies. They knew a lot about good beach locations, and was chosen by the more peaceful in those days the coast of a small village. The place was so successful that after a couple of decades turned into a developed resort area and the village grew into a city.
Stay in Hikkaduwa
Hikkaduwa is one of the most popular and developing resorts of Sri Lanka. Come here primarily for a beach vacation and a well-developed resort infrastructure. In principle, we can say that if you do not know where to go for the first time in Sri Lanka – choose the beach, can't go wrong.
True, it is objectively to say that because of the constant waves more suitable for surfing than for a relaxing swim. Only a small Hikaduwa beach Hikaduwa Beach or Coral Reef with a length of less than one kilometer protected by coral reefs, strong waves it does not happen.
Beach area of Hikkaduwa stretched along the coast almost 10 kilometers, and the most exciting part of it is concentrated in the range of approximately five kilometers. The entire infrastructure is located along quite a busy road (Galle Road or A2), which is separated from the beaches of the dense buildings of hotels, restaurants and homes. Across the road is also a chain of hotels, cafes, travel agencies, etc. Along the road there are sidewalks, and in the evenings quite comfortable to walk around the tourist area in search of a place where to eat or entertain.
The beach in Hikkaduwa is generally good, and very long. Almost the entire length of the resort it is quite wide, however, sometimes narrows, and in the North generally eroding due to built hotels of the dam. The whole beach is built up with hotels, and no palm shores in the style of "bounty" you will not see here: restaurants and hotels are located directly on the shore, becoming closer and closer to the water every year. Everywhere on the beach come across a school of surfing and diving (including training and Russian language), equipment hire. As for diving and snorkeling, according to some estimates, is one of the best places in Sri Lanka for scuba diving and almost dive capital of the country: there is a coral reef and several sunken ships. If you move further North, beyond Hikkaduwa, across many underdeveloped, but very pleasant beaches, some of which is rare for hotels.
The influence of the tides in Hikkaduwa little pronounced, the differences between the level tides tides are minimal. However, you can check the weather and tides in Hikkaduwa for the next six months, calculated on the basis of statistical data collected over a period of more than 20 years:
In the evening tourists usually walk along the beach or along launoy street Galle Road in search of a cafe or restaurant, but there are in Hikkaduwa and a modest night life. On Fridays the hotel Vibration Hotel is very noisy night party with modern music, so a sleepless Friday night fans of discos is provided. In other days, the resort goes to sleep early, and find evening entertainment except that the bars on the beach.
Attractions in the resort area there, but the area is something to see. Popular excursions to the turtle farm, the mines producing precious stones, national Park, temples in the surrounding area.
With regard to safety, then call the Hikkaduwa absolutely peaceful place in Sri Lanka impossible. Incidents involving tourists occur here more than at other resorts. Mostly traffic accidents, robberies on the streets (ripping chains, phones, cameras), steal things on the beach, theft from rooms or shooting houses. Fortunately, basic precautions help to avoid many troubles, you just need to be more careful and more attentive.
Infrastructure in Hikkaduwa
Hikkaduwa is one of the most tourist developed resorts of Sri Lanka. Hotels there are a lot of different categories and prices, lots of budget accommodation. Restaurants and cafes for tourists at every step, and many of them even have a menu in Russian language, which is a rarity for the country. The tourist shops (jewelry, gift, tea), travel agencies, rental bicycles and motorcycles, currency exchange offices abound. There are several large supermarkets, number of markets, banks and ATMs. And yet there is a Russian-oriented tourists travel Agency, English-speaking guides.
However, you need to understand that the city stretches for miles along the coast, and infrastructure development is very different on this stretch. The most developed area is the center near the bus station and railway station. Here you will find local markets, supermarkets, lots of cheap local eateries, there's a hardware store, pharmacy. Further South (in the direction of Galle and Unawatuna) starts the tourist area, where there is only tourist infrastructure: hotels, travel agencies, expensive tourist restaurants, transport rental, diving centers. And cheap cafes, markets, supermarkets in the tourist area a little.
Accommodation options in Hikkaduwa very much, the prices are low compared to other resorts. Find and book a hotel, guest house or private accommodation in Hikkaduwa can on these sites. All sites have Russian interface and Russian-speaking customer support, numerous real guests reviews. And in Agoda and Booking are bonus system:
- Search for hotels in Hikkaduwa on Agoda.com
- Search for hotels in Hikkaduwa on Booking.com
- Search for hotels in Hikkaduwa on Hotellook.com
- Looking for accommodation in Hikkaduwa on Airbnb and get a bonus of 2100 rubles for first booking
Weather in Hikkaduwa, tourist seasons
Overall, in Hikkaduwa, you can relax all year round, but is allocated high and low season.
The high season lasts from November to April. At this time it is best to enjoy diving, surfing, or just relax on the beach.
In the low season from may to October in the ocean begin "problem". Constantly blowing wind creates strong waves, sometimes even a storm. At this time, some hotels close for renovations or vacations. If you are willing to settle for just sunbathing on the beach without active swimming, and trips to tourist attractions, you can come to Hikkaduwa during this period (solar days are enough even at the time).
The tourist seasons in Hikkaduwa months*
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Current weather in Hikkaduwa and forecast
- 20 APR0:00+27°C4m/sRH. 82%
- 20 APR9:00+30°C1m/sRH. 71%
- 20 APR18:00+28°C3M/sRH. 81%
- APR 21,3:00+29°C2m/sRH. 74%
- APR 21,12:00+29°C2m/sRH. 74%
- APR 21,21:00+27°C2m/sRH. 80%
- 22 APR6:00+30°C2m/sRH. 67%
- 22 APR15:00+29°C1m/sRH. 75%
- 23 APR0:00+27°C1m/sRH. 77%
- 23 APR9:00+30°C4m/sRH. 72%
- 23 APR18:00+28°C4m/sRH. 79%
- 24 APR3:00+29°C4m/sRH. 75%
* forecast is based on the local time. Data received https://openweathermap.org. If you see outdated of date, refresh the page with F5+Ctrl.
How to get
Hikkaduwa is located on the West coast, 100 km from Colombo to the South. Near the city there is no airport, so get here via the airport in Colombo, where the beach is reached by taxi, bus or train.
From other cities and regions in the Hikkaduwa can be reached by bus or train. But direct flights and trains and buses is only from Colombo, Galle, Matara and other cities and resorts of the southwest coast, so in most cases you need to go with transfers via major hubs in Colombo or Galle. In General, within one light day at the beach can be reached from any place of Sri Lanka, it is only necessary to plan the route and leave early.
Here is a brief about the routes, how to get to Hikkaduwa from major cities:
- From Colombo airport. Directly only by taxi or tuk-tuk, or budget bus to Colombo and transfer there to another bus or train.
- From Colombo. Direct buses and trains run throughout the day and night (rarely). On buses you can catch at the bus station or anywhere on the main road Galle Road – A2. The buses run often, keep in mind the schedule is not required, you can just come to a stop and wait for the bus. Trains run on a schedule no less than 10 times a day.
- From Negombo. From Negombo with a stopover in Colombo by train or bus. Transport often, you can just come to the station and go.
- From Jaffna. To go through Colombo by bus or train. The train is preferable, but you need to go either early morning or Board the evening train that arrives in Colombo at 4am.
- From Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Ella and other cities in the mountainous part of Sri Lanka is best reached by train with a stopover in Colombo, there, including night trains. If you go by bus, faster by bus from Colombo to get there, but to go earlier in the city of Kaduwela. In Kaduwela need to change on the bus on the highway to Galle (departs every 20-30 minutes, worth 460 crore), and then in Galle at the bus station to take the bus to Hikkaduwa. At least from Nuwara Eliya once daily in the morning direct bus to Ambalangoda and he runs through the beach.
- From Trincomalee. Direct train from Trincomalee to Colombo only runs of the night, or to go with a transfer by train through Baticaloa or Galoya Junction (see how to get to Trincomalee). On the bus ride during the day, through Colombo.
Read more about all the ways how to get to the beach here...
Transport Hikkaduwa, than to move on
The main resort area stretched along the coast road to Galle road for five kilometers, and it is possible to navigate on foot, take a taxi or tuk-tuk, bus or rented vehicle. For trips to the surrounding attractions lychshe only to take rent of transport, or hire a tuk-tuk with a driver.
Car taxi in Hikkaduwa, there is little, but if you find a car, trips are mainly carried out at the contract price, no-one to turn on the counters in no hurry. But there is a good alternative, particularly advantageous if you need to travel far, for example in Colombo or the airport is to use the PickMe app or Uber.
It is much easier to catch a tuk-tuk, they are very much. The drivers themselves constantly too Intrusive and offer their services on the main street and even on the beach. A short drive within the resort will cost from RS 100 if you know how to bargain, usually from tourists asking 300 or more. Hire a tuk-tuk at the time for 600 rupees (from 232.16 RUB) for 3 hours, 1800 rupees (from 696.48 RUB) for a day. But again, all depends on your ability to bargain.
City buses in most of the Ways there, but on the main road to Galle road very often go to state and private buses between Galle and Colombo, and other resorts of the West coast. They stop at places marked with a bus stop, but on request can stay anywhere. The fare is 10 rupees depending on distance, pay the conductor in the cabin.
The greatest freedom of movement provides leased vehicles. Motorcycle hire can be found from 1000 rupees per day (386.93 USD), but more often, they want 1200 and above. Bicycle rental starts from 20 rupees per hour and 200 per day, but it is mostly "dead" are great. For a normal bike will have to pay almost twice as much.
Read more about transport in Hikkaduwa is here...
Hikkaduwa attractions, what to see
For most tourists, the main attraction of Hikkaduwa is its beaches. Indeed, besides the beaches, there is nothing interesting in the resort area of no. However, next to the resort there are many attractions that you can visit on your own in a rented transport, a tuk-tuk, bus. Go to places you can tour, because Hikkaduwa is one of the few places in Sri Lanka where you can buy cheap group tours, individual tours by tuk-tuk or rental car. Also offers excursions for a few days in Colombo to the mountainous part of Sri Lanka (Nuwara Eliya, Ella, Horton plains and the end of the world, tea plantations, etc.), the Cultural triangle (Dambulla, Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Anuradhapura), national nature reserves. And by the way, there is even a travel Agency with Russian-speaking consultants and guides.
Among the interesting places visited in Hikkaduwa, you can include the attractions nearby Bentota, Ambalangoda (Ambalangoda), Galle (Galle). In these cities you can drive not only themselves, but also by bus or commuter train.
Read more about the attractions Hikkaduwa here...
Useful tips for Hikkaduwa
- Currency exchange, ATMs. In Hikkaduwa is one of the best currency exchange rates on the island. Course better we were able to find only in Colombo. So feel free to change here dollars in local money for your entire trip. In the center (near bus station) there are several banks and ATMs.
- Food. In the heart of the tourist area is not so easy to find a café with low cost for local, if you want to save. In the bulk there are expensive tourist cafes and restaurants. But if you go to the bus station and railway station, where is the actual centre of the city, you can find a lot of inexpensive cafes.
- Supermarkets and convenience stores. There are a lot of markets and small shops, but best of all for food, alcohol or things to go to supermarkets in the Northern part of the city near the bus station.
- Alcohol. In Hikkaduwa there are a few shops with alcohol. One of them is in a large supermarket and in a separate store further North. The supermarket only sold non-refrigerated alcohol. Remember that alcoholic beverages in Sri Lanka are sold around the clock and not only in special shops: to go into the first supermarket and buy a bottle of beer will not work. Beer, by the way, here is 160 rupees per bottle.
- The choice of accommodation. When choosing a hotel, consider the road noise from transport. Rooms in some hotels even along the street are well protected from the noise, but he's just unbearable. Read reviews about the hotel, not to be mistaken.
- Night life. On Fridays the hotel Vibration hotel in the southern part of the resort are night parties and loud modern music. If you stay nearby on Friday to sleep you will not succeed. Have or not to sleep from the loud music, or to go to the party.