6 reasons to go to Sri Lanka, and 12 reasons not to go
Sri Lanka is a beautiful country with friendly people, beautiful nature, interesting history and attractions, and wonderful beaches. But apart from advantages there are disadvantages that could disappoint the unprepared tourists. Not to be disappointed, you need to understand that it is not necessary to compare the vacation in Sri Lanka, with Thailand, Vietnam, or even Russia's southern resorts, it's different here.
We tried to make as objective as possible review, gathering all the pros and cons of which have a chance to encounter during your vacation or travel.
Cons or why you should not go to Sri Lanka
- 1. In Sri Lanka there are no resorts with a developed urban, or at least close to this infrastructure. All the resorts rather like a village with the appropriate environment and atmosphere. None of the resort, the level of development even reach the easiest places in other Southeast Asian countries, or even in the South of Russia, not here. Cm. an overview of all the resorts in Sri Lanka...
- 2. There are no large shopping centers and supermarkets. Exception – only Colombo and Kandy, but there you rest are unlikely.
- 3. Transport poorly developed. There are buses and trains, and they can get almost anywhere and inexpensive. But they are not very suitable for more or less comfortable. Sometimes even the trains have to go standing in hours-long journeys, as there are no places, what can we say about buses whose drivers are so famous for careless riding at higher speeds. While in Sri Lanka you will not find an inexpensive tourist buses or group transfers between resorts. Therefore for traveling across the country remains a choice to rent a vehicle, hire a taxi, or to learn the inconvenient transportation. Read more about transport in Sri Lanka and than to move on here...
- 4. For the management of rented vehicles needed local law. Yeah, not here, as in other countries of Southeast Asia or in Europe, use of international law. The police only recognizes local issued in Colombo. Read more about car rent in Sri Lanka here...
- 5. It's a dirty country by our standards. Dirt in Sri Lanka is everywhere, even in national parks and sacred places. Although the country's leadership and trying to teach people to clean, apparently, will change more than one generation, before the local will stop to throw the garbage anywhere.
- 6. The high price of attractions for tourists. The island has several iconic landmarks, UNESCO world heritage site, but in our opinion the price of their visit is extremely overpriced. For example, visit to Sigiriya is US $ 30, Polonnaruwa – 25, the'pura – 25. And if you can still understand that a visit to the archaeological Park Polonnaruwa, which can be viewed all day, you will have to pay 25 dollars for an hour long walk at Sigiriya $ 30 is too much.
- 7. No low-cost group tours. Inexpensive group tours on buses, sightseeing tours in Sri Lanka, it is hard to find. We've only met in Hikkaduwa and very little. All other resorts have, and you have to get acquainted with the sights either independently mastering the local transport or buy expensive individual tours.
- 8. The kitchen is monotonous. Anyone, but for our taste the local food too monotonous. Do not have the wealth of flavors and aromas, as for example in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia. The main dish that you have here to eat is rice with curry and chicken rice in different forms. Despite the abundance of spices as condiments are usually served only with salt, pepper and curry, and no you 5-6 jars of different sauces in Thailand. Read more about Sri Lankan cuisine here...
- 9. Fruit. Surprisingly, but on the tropical island of Sri Lanka tugovato with exotic fruits. All are sold mainly bananas and coconuts, but the real exotics like mango, mangosteen, lychee, rambutan, etc. is not common.
- 10. The locals, especially the young, are too Intrusive. Not in popular tourist spots the arrival of European tourists on the beach causing such a stir that it is simply impossible to relax: we all want to meet you and chat, especially young people. Moreover, they have no "brakes", and they can start without permission to touch your things, to talk on sensitive topics, request money, etc.
- 11. There is no entertainment. In Sri Lanka there is the usual tourist attractions like water parks, dolphinariums tourist pedestrian streets, and amusement parks. At all. Nowhere!!!
- 12. Many crows and stray dogs. For unknown reason, there are a lot of crows and dangerous stray dogs. Someone like, but we (the authors website) is constantly "annoying" while traveling. There were even cases of the bite of dogs.
Pros or why you should not go to Sri Lanka
- 1. Beautiful weather and the sun. Few resorts can boast a year-round season, and Sri Lanka can. It is always warm, you only need to choose the right place during the year. To know when and where to go, see an overview of the seasons in Sri Lanka.
- 2. Low prices. If you do not take into account the high prices on attractions and tours in General in Sri Lanka, you can relax and travel very cheap. If you wish to save, you can live a whole week for $ 100 per person, and also to move between resorts and cities. Cm. prices in Sri Lanka...
- 3. Few tourists. A large part of Sri Lanka is still not trampled by tourists, including beach resorts, and that's a plus. And this is one of the few countries in Southeast Asia, where there are few Chinese.
- 4. Very cheap transport. With all the disadvantages of transport, which are mentioned above, if you are familiar with buses and trains, you can travel across the entire country for pennies.
- 5. Very friendly people. In General, Sri Lankans are very friendly. Just incredibly friendly. Always willing to just chat or help, unless you go too far with his obsession. But all this does not apply to taxi drivers and working in tourism, their approach is quite different: to with tourists as much money as possible.
- 6. Excellent surfing. If you love surfing, then this is the perfect place. The waves are simply gorgeous, and, at any time of the year. You only need to choose the right place at the right time.
Do not be alarmed that's no reason not to go get more, than pluses. Actually it's not even cons, but rather features that someone will be cons, but for someone on the contrary will be a reason to have to visit Sri Lanka. But if you have something to add or you have something do not agree, you can share your opinion in our forum.