Prices in Sri Lanka
The prices of goods in Sri Lanka are often cited
right on the package, the price tags can be found everywhere
Sri Lanka is a relatively new mass tourism destination. Just a few years ago, ended several decades of civil war, and only after that tourism became available as a mass direction and began to develop rapidly. In this regard, some tourists think that the prices here for everything are very low, since the local tourism is struggling to have appeared in the country of tourists. But actually all not so. Unfortunately, the local "movers and shakers" of the tourist business and the government, in our opinion, trying to "remove as much as possible cream" pouring into the country of tourists, so the prices of some travel service by Asian standards unreasonably high.
As for prices for tours to Sri Lanka, the minimum price we found for a seven-day tour with departure from Moscow with accommodation in a more or less normal hotel costs 2100 US$, which is quite competes with the cost of a self-organized trip. Therefore, if your goal is just to spend a few days on the coast, you can manage the purchase of the tour. If you want to get more complex and lengthy visits to Sri Lanka, prices for tours increase sharply, and self guided tours remain ahead of the competition. All information about the organization of independent trips are on our website in the section on Sri Lanka.
Here you have a reference set some basic prices at a price 2014:
Prices for hotels in Sri Lanka
The situation with the prices on hotels is as follows: in Sri Lanka you can find relatively inexpensive accommodation, but it will just shed in comparison with housing in the same price category in Thailand. But it is a little beyond budget accommodation for Asian standards, and we can get a good hotel with all the amenities. Something in between for a reasonable price here is hard to find.
- Not very clean room in the Guesthouse with no air conditioning with individual bathroom – 2000 rupees (16 dollars refer to the currency of Sri Lanka, the exchange rate)
- Not very clean room in a Guesthouse with air conditioning and EN Suite bathroom – 3,000 rupees ($23)
- Normal clean room in the hotel or the Guesthouse – 5000 rupees ($39)
- A room in a five star hotel is 12000 rupees (92 dollars)
The price of transport, air travel in Sri Lanka
Fortunately for tourists, the prices of transport in Sri Lanka is ridiculous, at least for now we are not talking about the tourist transport. Moving on the ground in local public transport, both city and interurban, are mere pennies. Basically, public transport in the form of urban and intercity buses and trains. For example, moving to a comfortable air-conditioned local bus from Negombo to Colombo, which is about 30 miles, it costs 150 rupees (about 40 rubles). On conditionioning buses travel even less: of Hikkaduwa in Galle can be reached within 60 rupees (15 cents). Travel by bus almost through the whole of Colombo is 24 rupees. Travel by train from Colombo to Hikkaduwa (distance 100 km) costs 160 rupees (42 rubles).
The famous and ubiquitous tuk-tuks too, to some extent, are public transport and is very actively used by local residents. At the same time with tourists, tuk-tuks take an exorbitant price, and the amount is less than 200 rupees (which is about 27 rubles), even will not talk. Meet tuk-tuks meter (Taxi meter), but to ride them to the tourist counter in practice not really.
As for air travel in the country, there are no regular flights between the airports of the country. There are only private Charter flights on small planes or helicopters that can be enjoyed by anyone, but they are not cheap.
Rent a motorbike in Sri Lanka can be found for 700 rupees (195 rubles) per day, but the price you can not find everywhere, often much higher. In maturities area for motorbike rental asking $ 10 for the day. While gasoline in Sri Lanka is very expensive.
- Motorbike rent – RS 700 (195 rubles)
- Gasoline 90-th – 162 rupees a liter (43 rubles)
- Travel by air-conditioned bus from Colombo to Negombo – RS 150 (40 rubles)
- Conditionerbedroom travel by bus from Hikkaduwa to Galle – 60 rupees (15 cents)
- Travel by bus through the whole of Colombo is 24 rupees (7 rubles)
- Travel by tuk-tuk from 100 rupees (26 rubles)
- The taxi fare is about 600 rupees per 10 kilometers (158 rubles)
Food prices/food/drinks in Sri Lanka
Prices on food and drinks in Sri Lanka are lower than in Russia (of course, if to compare with Moscow). And some products, such as eggs, milk are much more expensive.
Eat in cafes and restaurants here can be expensive, but only if you learn to find places for local and adapt to tolerate insanitary conditions prevailing there and monotonous tasteless food. Minimum check for dinner without drinks in such places will be 400 rupees (105 rubles). To eat delicious, will have to visit cafes and restaurants, oriented to tourists already, where the minimum cost per person will be 800 rupees without drinks (210 rubles). It is worth noting that prices differ greatly from place to place, and sometimes in very bad places over the absolutely disgusting dinner can request in the restaurant.
- Water 1.5 l – 70 rupees (19 rubles)
- The local Coca-Cola 0,5 l – 80 rupees (21 rubles)
- Original Coca-Cola 0,5 l – 100 rupees (25 rubles)
- Bank beer 0,5 l – at least 160 rupees (42 rubles)
- Cigarettes – a minimum of 260 rupees (69 rubles) and 600 rupees
- Dinner in a cheap local cafe 400 rupees (105 rubles)
- Dinner in normal cafe or restaurant – 800 rupees (210 rubles)
- Rice with chicken in a nice cafe – 480 rupees (127 rubles)
- Pineapple on the market – 103 rupees (35 rubles)
Prices for excursions and sights in Sri Lanka
High prices of tours and attractions in Sri Lanka does not serve any explanation. Pretty modest attractions charge a fee, which in other countries you can visit. Here is an example of the cost of entry to most major attractions. Of course, the price of the tour accordingly.
- Entrance fee to Sigiriya – USD 30
- Entrance fees to Dambulla – 1500 rupees ($12)
- Entrance fees to Anuradhapura – 25 $
- Entrance fee to the Park of Polonnaruwa – 25 $
Prices for Souvenirs and stuff
Cheap Souvenirs in Sri Lanka will have to look, or have a very hard bargain. Usually, even the most simple magnet on the market offer for 300 rupees (80 rubles). Alternatively, it is possible to buy Souvenirs in shops with fixed prices. However, something interesting for reasonable money can buy and with hands close to popular attractions, but again you need to bargain.
- Magnet on the market – 300 rupees (83 dollars)
- Magnet shop – 140 rupees (37 rubles)
- Small wooden mask – 600 rupees (185 rubles)
- Plate souvenir – 350 rupees (92 dollars)