Guide to Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta (Yogyakarta) is a major city in Central Java island in Indonesia (Yogyakarta on the map). In fact, the local name pronounced as Jogjakarta, and often you can hear the name Yoga that is the abbreviated name of the city (Jogja or Yogya). It is located in the most seismic zone of Indonesia.
Stay in Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta is the main tourist town on the island of Java, and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Indonesia in General. This is the heart and cultural capital of the island. Stay in Yogyakarta exclusively to sightseeing, the beaches here. In the heart of the city's many historic attractions, notable for its atmosphere, filled with culture and art. But most interesting is something here for hundreds of thousands of tourists annually – is considered the world's largest Buddhist temple Borobudur. Also from Jakarta visited the ancient Hindu temple complex of Prambanan (Prambanan), one of the most active volcanoes mount Merapi (Gunung Merapi), plateau Dieng (Dieng Plateau) and much more. In General, Yogyakarta is very convenient to use as a base point for travelers from all over Central Java and the volcanoes of Bromo and Ijen in East Java.
Infrastructure in Yogyakarta for tourists is well developed. There is a tourism district (the street Jalan Malioboro, a street on the map), a huge number of hotels, travel agencies, cafes and restaurants, night markets, massage salons. Shopping enthusiasts can enjoy shopping in large shopping centers, but much more interesting to buy Souvenirs in Yogyakarta in countless shops and workshops that sell are sometimes real works of art. The city is known for its many factories and workshops of batik, so without this token you to go away will not work.
For sightseeing in Central Java or in more remote places of the island here offers ready-made tours or you can hire a car with driver, which is very often practiced by tourists. If you have experience and you are ready to explore the sights independently, you can rent a car or motorbike, rentals are many.
Hotels in Yogyakarta
Hotels in Yogyakarta very much, I have all categories from budget hostels to equal to five star hotels. Generally, the choice of accommodation in Yogyakarta is the richest on the island of Java, and only here you can find a large number of options for each category.
Despite the large number of accommodation facilities during the high season which is July, August, and new year holidays are advised to book hotels in advance. Find the most choices and lowest prices on the largest sites on the Internet.:
Or you can search the hotel directly using the search from Agoda.com. Russian interface and Russian-speaking customer support is present:
Weather in Yogyakarta, the tourist seasons
The best time to visit Yogyakarta is during the dry season, which runs from April to October. This time moderately hot, almost no rain, that will not interfere with your visits to the attractions of Central Java. You can visit the city and in the rest of the year, especially since the rain does not hurt you to see the sights in Yogyakarta, but here are some interesting natural places outside the city to visit will be harder.
The high season when the town is visited by the largest number of tourists, and even having problems to find accommodation at a good price, occurs in July, August, Christmas holidays and Christmas eve.
Seasons in Yogyakarta by months*
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Weather in Yogyakarta and forecast
The time in Yogyakarta
Time difference between Moscow and Indonesia (and its capital) +4 hours. Current time in Yogyakarta (Indonesia):
Useful information about Yogyakarta
- Tourist information. On the main touristic street Jalan Malioboro, 16 (InfoCenter on the map) is the state tourist information center where you can get a lot of useful information, free maps and brochures, a calendar of activities. Office open from 07:30 to 20:00, Sunday abbreviated from 09:00 to 14:00. Also stands with tourist information at the airport and/railway station.
- Security in Yogyakarta. Yogyakarta in General is a safe city for tourists, but as in any big city, it is possible to suffer from minor property crimes. Frequent pickpocketing in transport, cheating of tourists by taxi drivers, selling poor quality tourist services, etc. And in no case do not mess with drugs, as it is in Indonesia the death penalty.
- Currency exchange. In the tourist area of the city many exchange points, banks and ATMs. At the airport better not to change money, the exchange rate is not favorable.
- Batik. Yogyakarta is the center of batik painting, there are many workshops and factories. These crafts you will suggest to buy on every corner, sometimes deception or bring in salons and workshops under the guise of the city, where you will offer the goods at inflated prices. One of the most popular of the con – when you will deliver the alleged exhibition or workshop, to show you how to manually make a batik, and then the psychological manipulation of forced to buy it at prices several times higher than it is actually.
- Output in museums. When planning your trip please note that all state museums and galleries in Monday's off day.