The Ijen Volcano
One of the most famous and visited natural attractions in Indonesia is the Ijen volcano (cava Ijen, Kawah Ijen)located on the Ijen plateau at the Eastern tip of the island of Java (MT Ijen on the map). It is an active volcano, but the last active eruption was in 1936. It is now open to tourists, but in 2011, 2012, and 2018 he has for some time closed in connection with increased activity.
Attention! March 21, 2018, the Ijen volcano threw a large amount of sulfur dioxide (sulfur oxide), in which 27 persons were injured. The ascent from the base camp Paltuding Pos is temporarily closed. Information about the availability Idzhena and its activity can be found on the website https://volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=263350
Tourists go to Ijen to see a dazzling blue flame burning sulfur, the world's largest acid lake, and to see the sunrise at the crater ridge. One of the local attractions – the sulphur miners. They are dirt-cheap by our standards, but a good salary for this part of Indonesia, at the expense of their health without any protective masks mined in the volcano's sulfur using a homemade system of condensation from the barrels, and blow it in the baskets down at one time carrying on their shoulders up to 80 pounds.
The Ijen volcano - the place is so popular and famous all over the world that are specially come here even from other countries, and if you were in Indonesia for a sharp Java or Bali, be sure to try to get into it. All visiting Ijen volcano, including how to reach it yourself, read on.
General information on the plateau and the Ijen volcano, and helpful tips
- Walking part of the route is easy, accessible to everyone. The ascent takes 1-3 hours depending on your fitness level.
- For lifting need to protect the breath from the acrid steam and smoke of sulfur. On the spot you can rent a mask for 25,000 rupees (113.48 RUB, see the currency of Indonesia and the exchange rate). If you have sensitive eyes, better bring a sporty tight fitting ski goggles or glasses for diving.
- If you go up at night, dress warmly. The mandatory jacket, hat and gloves is desirable.
- For night lift be sure to take a flashlight, headlamp better
- The insurance is compulsory. Ie you have no one here to ask, but the risk of injury or health problem on the volcano's large, so make the medical travel insurance that can be done at one of the price comparison websites for insurance: Sravni.ru, Strahovkaru.ru, Tripinsurance.ru, Cherehapa.ru
- If you will cover the sulphur cloud in the side of the exit from the ground, no need to panic and run. It is best to hold your breath, close your eyes, and wait when it goes away. Due to the change of the wind column of sulphur smoke constantly changes its direction, so in just a few seconds it goes away. If you run then in the fog there is a real chance to get hurt by the stones or fall over the cliff.
- On the island of Java, where Ijen, the time difference in Bali – minus one hour. Ie in Bali 12 hours on Igene 11 hours. It's important not to be mistaken with rise time.
- Night a blue flame ceases to be visible after sunrise 4-5 o'clock in the morning.
- Guide for lifting is not required, everything is clear without it.
- Best time to visit is the dry season in April-October.
- Access to the volcano is through the gate that opens at 01:00 (for night climbing).
- Access to the volcano is worth 100,000 rupees on weekdays (453.93 RUB), 150 000 rupees in a weekend (680.9 RUB).
- Tours of the volcano from the island of Bali are worth from 75 to $ 250; tours of nearby towns of Banyuwangi (Banyuwangi) and Bondowoso (Bondowoso) from $ 35. Tours from Bali to Ijen can order online here.
- Just in case, bring rain gear, as the rains here are acidic.
- Toilets on the way up there, so try to go to base camp before the ascent.
What to see
Ijen plateau is a vast territory, and in addition to the Ijen volcano there are other interesting places. Just on a plateau located three mountains:
- Ijen (Ijen) – 2368 meters
- Merapi (Merapi) – 2800 metres
- Raung (Raung) – 3332 meters
Also on the plateau you can see:
- Mount Kawah Wurung (mountain on the map) is a small hill, which offers views of the plateau and the surrounding area. The entrance fee is 5000 rupees. A small rise, but the slope is steep.
- Coffee, tea, clove, rubber plantation. They are scattered around the plateau can be visited for free.
- Plantation Kebun Balawan (Blawan) (plantation on the map) – coffee plantation, hot springs and waterfalls. Entrance of RS.5000.
- Acid waterfall Air Terjun Banyupait. A stream formed from the sulphur lake in the crater of the volcano. Unusual place, you can stay here for 5 minutes. Parking fee is 3000 rupees. Located near the road near the entrance to the volcano from Bondowoso (the waterfall on the map).
- Waterfalls. On the way along the road there are many waterfalls and they are scattered across the plateau in different places can be reached only on foot. But not necessarily to spend their time and energy, view one, all the others are similar.
- Village. On the plateau a few scattered villages. If you will travel by your own transport, visit at least one of them, will remain an unforgettable experience.
However, focus first on the ascent to the crater Ijen, because there is all the fun. Other places to visit along the way or skip. Some of them include the standard tours, or you can ask the driver to stop near them, if you book a personal tour.
- The edge of the crater
- A reminder of the danger
- Sulfuric cloud covers
- Production from the volcano
How to get to Ijen volcano
Ijen can be visited as part of an organised tour of the popular tourist destinations on the island of Java, including the island of Bali. It's much easier, safer and faster than yourself. Independent trip it makes sense only if you are traveling in one direction, for example, moving from Java to Bali. Then you can consistently visit Bromo, then to Ijen and then from Banyuwangi city to move to Bali. Although there are such tours in the same direction at least from Jakarta.
Prices for package tours in Bali are different from programs and features, cost between $ 75 in a large group, and up to $ 150 for the group for two. Tour or independent trip from Bali to Ijen takes two days. Often tours include a visit to two volcanoes, Ijen and Bromo, which takes three full days.
Buy excursions in places of recreation in street travel agencies, or can find and get tours online at these trusted sites:
- Getyourguide.com (mainly English, but the best range of tours and prices to Bromo)
- Sputnik8.com (Russian language)
- Tripster.ru (Russian language)
- Weatlas.com (Russian language)
But there is no difficulty to reach Idzhena yourself. Nearest settlements, where there is a tourist infrastructure and which are the base point for sending, are the towns of Banyuwangi (Banyuwangi) and Bondowoso (Bondowoso). If you go to Bali, you need Banyuwangi, if the part of Jakarta, it is better Bondowoso. Of these towns at the volcano also offers ready-made tours or tourist transport, although, if desired, and immediately before climbing the volcano to get his way.
The ascent of the volcano begins in a camp called Pos Paltuding (the camp on the map). This place is the Parking for vehicles, small shop, cafe, Guesthouse, camping site, Cass and CAT. It is here that you will have to leave our vehicles and continue the way on foot directly to the crater. Here you can rent a mask (respirator) for 25,000 rupees, and here you will offer guide services. Hiring a guide is not necessary, no problem to climb without it.
To Pos Paltuding are only two roads – from Banyuwangi and Bondowoso. Both come at one point, to camp Pos Paltuding, from different sides. So, you can take the route there and back, and through, i.e., for example, to get from Bondowoso to the volcano, climb on it and continue the way to Banyuwangi and then to Bali.
How to get from Banyuwangi to Pos Paltuding
Is one of the only paved road of poor quality, 30 kilometers. Public transport here does not go. Read more about Banyuwangi and how to get there here.
Tour or hiring a car, a motorcycle taxi
If you decide to take a tour from Banyuwangi (actually only includes shipping to the jeep to Pos Paltuding and waiting), it will cost 35 dollars depending on full number of people. Organize such tours in all the hotels in Banyuwangi or agencies on the streets. You can also hire for a trip motorcycle taxi (ojek). There and back with waiting a few hours will cost from 200,000 rupees (907.86 RUB). If you come to Bali and not staying in a hotel in Banyuwangi, you can go directly to the volcano, hiring a car or a motorcycle taxi to the pier. You can also hire a car or motorcycle taxi to one side, and after climbing the volcano to continue in Bondowoso, hiring transport near Pos Paltuding.
The most economical option is to rent a motorbike and drive on their own. The road is bad, not illuminated at night, but the big problem is a motorcycle or moped is not. In some places automatic low-power scooters may not drive because of the steep ascent, but these places also overcome: you just need to get off the bike and hold it. With rental choose a motorcycle more powerful, and better than with an automatic transmission. And be careful: don't let the brakes overheat, make stops to keep them cool for 5-10 minutes. And yet, before the trip, fill the tank full, the path of pump no.
Impossible to get lost, the road alone. To rent a motorbike in Banyuwangi from 65,000 rupees (295.06 RUB) per night. Rental offices are a lot, you can ask at the hotel. Here are some famous:
- Tera Tour and Travel address: Jl. Stasiun Karangasem A7
- Tripoli Tour and Travel address: Jl. Basuki Rahmat No.77
- Toko Subur address: Jalan Stasiun Karangasem
- Motocy Banyuwangi address: Jl. Ikan Wijinongko, Sobo, Kec
How to get from Bondowoso to Pos Paltuding
Here is one the only paved road of better quality than from Banyuwangi, but the route is longer than 60 miles. But can be reached not only through a tour or a motorbike, but with the help of public transport. About Bondowoso and how to get it, see here.
Tour or hiring a car, a motorcycle taxi
Tours in Bondowoso can also be found in hotels or on the street from $ 45 depending on the number of people in the group. You can also hire for a trip motorcycle taxi (ojek). There and back with waiting a few hours will cost 250,000 rupees (1134.83 RUB).
If you drive a motorbike, you can rent and get on it. The road here is better than from Banyuwangi and not as steep but longer, will take at least 2 hours. Along the way you can also make a stop at a coffee plantation Kebun Balawan hot springs and waterfalls (you will need a little detour from the road), look up the acid waterfall Air Terjun Banyupait. Before the trip, fill the tank full, the path of pump no. Impossible to get lost, the road alone. To rent a motorbike in Bondowoso can be from 75 000 rupees (340.45 RUB) per night. Rental offices are not very many, will have to look, but they are.
This is the most economical way to travel, but sometimes you have to do a transplant. Also keep in mind that this way you will be able to get to the volcano only during the day.
With Bondowoso bus station (bus station on the map) will need to take a minibus to Sempol (25 000 rupees in 3 hours, go from morning until approximately 15:00 on occupancy). From Sempol to the camp for another 10 kilometers and can be reached by motorcycle taxi for 50,000 rupees (226.97 RUB), or to negotiate with the minibus driver to drive you to camp, but he will need to negotiate a price of not more than 50,000 per person. Back to Sempol you can also go on a motorcycle taxi.
The climb to Ijen
So, when you get to camp Pos Paltuding, you will rise to the top with a height of 1875 metres to 2368, i.e. the rise in the 500-meters with a length of 3 kilometers. Depending on your fitness it may take 1-3 hours. If you're up at night, it is better to do it as soon as possible as tourist groups rises a lot, especially on weekends up there is just an endless stream of visitors, and during the observation of the burning blue lava interfere with each other. On the way to meet cafe and an observation deck.
The ascent is on a wide trail that is not marked, but are well distinguishable. It is almost always someone walking, so just go to the light of torches in front, and everything will be OK. By the way, for a night climb be sure to bring a lantern, recommended a headlamp to keep their hands free.
The same move route and loaded sulfur miners. Try not to disturb them, not to block the street as they carry a very heavy weight. For photography, they usually ask for money, enough 5-10 thousand rupees. You can also buy them or sellers along the route figures is molded from sulfur as a souvenir by 10-20 thousand rupees.
When will we rise up to the edge of the volcano, to descend 200 meters to the lake (the place of descent to the lake on the map). The descent is very steep, rocky, sometimes slippery, it will take about 30 minutes. Here you will see the blue flame, hence escape from the earth steams of sulphur, and the work of its miners. Here is the acid lake. When behold on a mysterious "blue lava", you can climb back up and continue along the crater to the point of sunrise (the point to meet the sunrise on the map). By the way, not all tours include a descent to the crater lake and blue fire, check it when buying there. The fact that most tourists are unable or unwilling to overcome opasnyi steep descent/ascent, and limited to meeting dawn at the edge of the crater.
As for lake, it's really acidic and hazardous to health. Metal objects, including jewelry made of silver, darken here, not only in water but also in air. A lot of equipment, so possibly protect expensive equipment from getting acrid smoke inside. But in fact, the water in the lake is dangerous not fatal and does not corrode instantly, as is often written.
Don't forget before you travel to arrange travel insurance. If you come to Indonesia under the permit, the insurance, which is included in the tour package in most cases will not work during ascent of the volcano, as it applies to active sports or by selecting "active rest". It's enough to make an additional insurance policy with this option and to save, can make insurance expire just for a few days or even one day, when you plan the upgrade. This insurance will cost only a few dollars.
If you travel to Indonesia alone, making insurance better to make the entire trip, and it's not so expensive compared to the cost of the entire trip. To check and compare the cost of insurance from different companies, and to make it online can through these trusted sites:
When is the best time to climb the Ijen, time
The best time to visit the volcano is dry season which is in April-October. At this time there is little rain and cloud cover, and are more likely to see a beautiful sunrise. The rest of the time the growth is also possible, but be careful during rain because of the slippery trails, and too bad that the sky can be overcast, and the sunrise meeting can not be considered.
Seasons on Igene months*
* best time to visit;
appropriate time to visit;
not a recommended time to visit
Weather Igene and forecast
During the day there are two ways of lifting: night and day. Best to climb at night, because only then will you be able to see that the mysterious blue flame, and then to see the sunrise and enjoy the same types who see the daily tourists.
Night flames can be seen only until dawn, usually 4-5 hours, depending on the time of year.
Night tour from Banyuwangi it is better to start at midnight, from Bondowoso before 30-60 minutes, so as to go on. It is preferable to arrive to the opening of the checkpoint that occurs at 01:00, plus or minus 30 minutes. In fact, PPC conditional, and if you arrive earlier, no problem will be able to pass through the closed checkpoint.
Where to stay before climbing to Ijen, hotels
The most convenient point to start is the city of Banyuwangi (Banyuwangi) and Bondowoso (Bondowoso). They have the necessary tourist infrastructure, hotels, transport, so the most convenient option is to come to one of these towns, settled in the hotel and in the night to go climbing. Banyuwangi is more suitable if you are going on a volcano in Bali, and Bondowoso, if moving from Jakarta. Find and book hotels at:
- Hotels in Banyuwangi on Agoda.com
- Hotels in Banyuwangi on Booking.com
- Hotels in Bondowoso on Agoda.com
- Hotels in Bondowoso on Booking.com
In addition, you can stay in one of several guesthouses located closer to the volcano. Small gjestehus with the most basic amenities located at the entrance to the walking route in camp Pos Paltuding. But there is a little room, and to book online can. Two Guesthouse is located 10 kilometers from the rise in the village of Sempol, and they are available for booking:
Also in Sempol you can stay in the homes of local residents, they offer rooms for rent. Generally, in Sempol convenient place to stay if you get to Idzhena on their own on local transport (minibuses) from Bondowoso, but it will be very difficult to refuse the tours, which will be to impose these hotels.
Well, there is an option for the budget travelers is to stay at a campground next to Pos Paltuding. But in this case here you need to go with your tent and other equipment.