Visa, customs regulations
General information about visa requirements
Unfortunately, the visa regime in India is quite complex and confusing, the rules often change, so before you go better check the latest official information from embassies and consulates, or on our forum. At the same time, it should be noted that visas to India can be issued for very long terms up to several years and multiple entries.
Citizens of Russia and other CIS countries are required to apply for a visa to India in advance, because the visa-on-arrival or visa-free stay possible. However, since November 2014, the citizens of Russia, Estonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Latvia and Ukraine had the opportunity of obtaining permission to stay for tourism purposes via the Internet (Electronic Visa) without a visit to the Embassy, that in some ways can be viewed as the visa-on-arrival. In other cases you will have to apply for a visa in advance.
The visa can be issued through agencies and independently, but in any case this is not done at the Consulate, but only through authorized visa service centers in Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.
Visa to India upon arrival or Electronic-Tourist Visa (e-TV)
If you are a citizen of Russia, Estonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Latvia and Ukraine, you can get a visa to India for tourist purposes for a single entry up to 30 days over the Internet. If you need a visa for a longer period or for non-touristic purposes, you will have to arrange it through the Consulate or specialized firms. It is also important that the use of such a visa, you can only arrive at if one of the following airports: Goa, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Trivandrum. And another limitation: you can use the e-visa entry at one and the same person can only two times per calendar year.
Obtaining a permit is on the website https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/there is and payment by credit card US $ 60. After filling out the questionnaire and payment on the website, within 96 hours you will receive an resolution that you want to print. Next, with the obtained solution you can go to India through one of these airports and get on border control resolution on a 30-day stay from the moment of crossing the border (and not obtaining a permit via the Internet). But it is important that the solution itself is valid only for 30 days, ie, if, when you got it, will be more than 30 days, it is canceled, i.e. it is necessary to issue not earlier than 30 days before the planned entry.
A visa to India in advance
If you do not fall under the e-visa to India, or you need a visa of another type or for a longer period, you will have to issue a visa in advance. To make it possible in Russia and in some other countries. However, the possibility of obtaining a visa to the country not its citizens depends on the rules set by the Indian Consulate in this country, so be sure to check availability before you travel. Visa citizens of the Russian Federation may, at least in Thailand and Sri Lanka, but still check in advance.
There are several main types of visas in India:
- Tourist visa – to visit the country for tourism, visiting friends or relatives who are citizens of India. Visa is issued for single or multiple entries valid for 1 month, 45 days and 6 months maximum (for the tickets with the duration of stay in India for the periods indicated).
- Transit visa – a visa for transit through India to third countries (typically Nepal, Bhutan).
- Business visa – a visit to India at the invitation of business partners multiple for up to 1 year.
- Student visa –for persons enrolled in educational institutions of India. The visa is issued on presentation of a written invitation of the University.
- Visa for studying yoga, Vedic culture, theory of Indian music, dance, etc. - to enter the Indian educational institutions of the course of study of yoga, Vedic culture, theory of Indian music, dance, etc.
Different visa types have different duration, different conditions and different set of documents for registration. For the journey, of course, is preferable to a tourist visa.
Where to apply for a visa
In Russia, the Indian visas are issued only through accredited visa centers located in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The exception is Vladivostok, where you can apply for visa directly to the Consulate (see address below).
To apply for a visa by yourself or through a travel company. At the time of writing, the visa center is located on the website http://www.blsindia-russia.com/where in the Russian language presents all information about the addresses, cost, timing, required documents. If you are planning to deal with their own visa, it is best to all the latest information about cost, deadlines, documents, etc. to look for it on the website of the visa center.
Of course, the residents of Moscow and St. Petersburg and areas easier and cheaper to apply directly at the visa application centre, while from the regions easier to do it through a travel company, but it is more expensive and will not be available to all types of visas.
The duration of the visa to India
It is important to remember that the pre-issued visa to India is valid not from the date of first entry and date of receipt. This is different from the e-visa, which is valid for 30 days from the date of issue and entitles you to 30 days of stay after entry.
Theoretically, it is assumed the possibility of obtaining multiple entry visas valid up to 3 years. In practice, possible to get a visa for 1, 2, 3 months.
The cost of a visa depends on its multiplicity and validity. Visa costs can be calculated on the website of the visa center. For example, a multiple-entry visa for up to 3 years will cost 5005 rubles.
Documents and requirements
All the latest information on requirements, validity of passport, submitted documents for each visa type you can get on the website of the visa center http://www.blsindia-russia.com/.
If you are travelling through India to another country and you need to leave the international area of the airport to get on another flight or rest, the time between flights does not exceed 72 hours you need a transit visa. If the time between flights more than 72 hours, you will have to apply for a tourist visa.
Transit visa is issued only in advance through a visa application centre (see above, visa to India in advance). Validity – 15 days from the date of issuance, the cost when applying through a visa application center – 1805 roubles. Considering that the cost of e-visa is $ 60 and does not need to visit the visa centre and everything is done through the Internet, sometimes it makes sense to abandon transit visas and to apply for an electronic visa.
Sometimes the question arises, however, what if you were transited through the airport on an international flight to a third country and plan to leave the transit area, but you must register for a connecting flight at the Desk at the airport. Located outside the international zone. In this case, the problem is solved by appeal to the airport staff who will escort you to the reception and get back to the international zone without transit and whatever visa.
Restrictions on the movement of India
Russian citizens enjoy the right of free movement throughout the country, excluding areas closed for visiting by foreigners.
To visit such places (some areas of the States of Manipur and Sikkim, Union territories of Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh, and Andaman and Nicobar Islands) must obtain a separate permit in the Embassy of India either issue the permit in the offices of the Ministry of foreign Affairs of India in new Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai or at the offices of the registration Service of foreign citizens (Foreigners Registration Offices).
You need to present a valid passport and fill out a questionnaire. The immigration officer enters the personal data of the applicant in the register and certifies the application form with stamp and signature. After that, the application form and passport should be attributed to the magistrate, where they will finalize the decision on issuance of permission to visit a special area. Usually the whole procedure takes from 2 to 24 hours, in some cases up to 5 days (depending on the mood of the officials or political situation in the region).
Addresses of embassies of India in Russia
Embassy of India in Moscow
Address: 105064, Moscow, Vorontsovo field, 6-8
Bodies: +7(495) 783-7535, (7495)-916-2343; 917-4835
Mode of work: Indian visa application centre is open from 10.00 to 17.00 every day
e-mail: consular section: email@example.com
Consulate General of India in Saint-Petersburg
191011 Saint Petersburg, ul. Italian, 5 (Square Of Arts)
Consulate General of India in Vladivostok
690003, Vladivostok, Ul. Verkhneportovaya, D. 46
Tel: 007-4232-413920, 413933. Fax:007-4232-413956.
If the entry into India all passengers must fill out a Declaration for imported Luggage, even if there is no binding Declaration of objects or things. If you have no items subject to duties and taxes, you should use the "green corridor". If you have items that are taxed, you should take the red corridor.
Allowed duty-free import
- alcoholic beverages and wines up to 2 liters (persons under the age of 17 years);
- 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco (one product you select, persons under the age of 17 years);
- to 60 ml of perfume and 250 ml toilet water;
- within the personal needs of household audio-, photo - and video equipment, musical instruments, sports equipment (not more than 1 pieces of each item per person), medications, jewelry, food items and household items;
Personal computers and laptops it is necessary to specify in the entry Declaration for subsequent export from the country.
It is prohibited to import:
- narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances (punishable by imprisonment);
- weapons and ammunition (requires a permit from the interior Ministry);
- livestock, pork and food from it
- gold and silver bullion and coins.
It is forbidden to export:
- narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances (punishable by imprisonment);
- pornographic materials;
- counterfeit products and goods exported in other cases of infringement of intellectual property rights;
- the skins of tiger and other wild animals; bird feathers; manufacture of articles of leather of rare reptile; live plants;
- gold and silver bullion, jewelry worth more than 2000 rupees.
The subsequent removal of items is restricted and is valid only with the appropriate permissions:
- firearms and ammunition;
- animals and birds, including Pets;
- plants and their fruits;
- species of plants and animals under threat of extinction (both living and dead);
- any goods exported for commercial purposes;
- radio transmitters are not intended for normal use;
- gold and silver, with the exception of decorations (ornaments);
- Indian and foreign currency in excess of the established limits.
The import and export of currency:
The importation and exportation of previously imported foreign currency is unlimited, national - is prohibited. However, you need to declare (to declare) of imported foreign currency/ bills of exchange in the following cases:
- the total amount of foreign currency exceeding $ 5,000;
- the total value of foreign means of payment (currency, traveller's cheques) exceeds US $ 10,000.