Angkor Thom: Preah Palilay
General information, history
Preah Palilay (Preah Palilay) is located on the territory of Angkor Thom, in the North-Western part. Located a little away from the main facilities, and is surrounded by dense forest.
Built Preah Palilay in the middle of the XII – beginning of XIII centuries, Jayavarman VII (Jayavarman VII, rules 1181-1215 gg.). Clearing of land was made in 1918 1919гг., the restoration of the temple – 30's, XX century.
Interesting Preah Palilay unusual conical form of the centre and the only tower, as well as growing on the temple grounds Mature trees.
Orientation, tips for inspection
To reach Preah Palilay is possible only on foot or from the TEP Pranam after a little over a hundred meters to the North-West, or from the entrance (North-Western) gopura of the Royal Palace to the North, in a straight line, 200 m. This is a rarely visited place.
The temple is quite badly damaged, so it will be interesting mostly for the real lovers of this kind of attractions. For a simple layman he is, perhaps, not be of little value if they are not buried in the Foundation of the temple centuries old cotton trees (South side). Very impressive sight (though more spectacular paintings of this kind can be seen in Tapame).
Time required it is necessary to establish not more than 30 minutes (with a road).
For photo better in the first half of the day.
The main entrance is on the East side. It has a small Phillips road length of 30 m and a width of 8.5 m, the entrance to it put the remains of the figures of warriors and lions. The road is raised above the ground to a height of about one meter, and on both sides it is surrounded by well-preserved statues of Nagas. At the end of the road leads to a small covered wooden pavilion, where towering pedestal with a statue of a seated Buddha, height 3 m, found during restoration work and installed in the pavilion in front of the temple.
Behind the Buddha is the entrance gopuram of the temple of Preah Palilay, and then the temple itself.
On the perimeter of the temple is surrounded by a stone wall (50m, 50m), which has three entrances. One of them is the main entrance, oriented to the East, and representing a single input cruciform gopura of the temple. Gopuram has, in addition to the Central aisle, two more on both sides. Particularly noteworthy is the well preserved above the entrance of Buddhist images of scenes of the Buddha, animals and birds. The other two entrances to the temple are from the North and from the South.
The basis of most of Preah Palilay is a three-tiered structure, which rises the Central tower of the temple, resembling a cone. Up in the premises of the temple by the Eastern and Northern axial ladders, others were destroyed. The tower is 6 m.