Rent bike and car in Thailand
Vehicle rental in Thailand gives you incredible freedom of movement and opens opportunities, in comparison with cultural tours or public transportation, and rental prices here are so low that renting often turns out to be even more profitable to travel by public transport. In this article we have gathered important information and some of the features that you should know if you are going to take a motorcycle/motorbike or car rental.
Keep in mind that standard travel insurance included in the tour package does not cover injuries received while driving. This requires you to arrange additional insurance with the option of driving a moped/motorcycle or sports that is equivalent to driving two wheelers. To save money, do not have to buy such insurance for the whole duration of the trip, you can do it for a few days, but you need to do it in advance, at least for a few days. To compare the cost of travel insurance options from different insurance companies and place it online are these trusted sites:
What are the rights for the lease of transport in Thailand?
Among tourists there are many disputes whether international law for hire transport in Thailand, or enough national (ordinary Russian) rights. The fact that Thailand has signed the Vienna Convention on road traffic, and in theory is obliged to take national WOO, but in practice the country has not ratified the Convention, i.e. the law still needs international (see "the truth about the driver's identity abroad"). And although you can often hear that tourists renting vehicles and meet with the police on the roads and show them without any impact on national law, in fact it is rather the exception. In 2018, the government of Thailand has officially published a document where to put this question is: definitely need an international driving licence, otherwise fine.
So, to drive a hire transport in Thailand is compulsory IDP. Is such a law, made in the form of booklets in several languages that are issued in addition to the regular national rights of the bodies of the traffic police. They act only when presented together with your national (domestic) rights, so don't forget to take with you on a trip. To get an IDP is not required to write any exams, you only need to pay a fee. Order them easiest website public services.of the Russian Federation, the value of discount will be 1120 rubles. You can contact the traffic police or the MFC personally, but then the IDP will cost 1600 rubles (price 2018). To pick up right after their manufacture in the traffic police or in the MFC.
For a motorcycle, in theory, you need to keep it open "a" category, but in practice it is almost never checked. But if you'll check the police on the road, you can solve the problem on the spot for 400 baht (see fines for traffic violations in Thailand).
Traffic and rules in Thailand
Traffic in Thailand is left-hand drive, ie not like us. The roads are in good condition. Meet toll roads, which are usually duplicated free but worst in quality.
About intensity and traffic safety in Thailand everyone has an opinion and it depends on driving experience. Those who have never sat behind the wheel, and traveled to Thailand only as a passenger, I can say that the traffic here is very peaceful and accidents are very few. But folk wisdom says that "statistics is a stubborn thing", and she says that in Thailand every year are killed on the roads about 15 000 people (an average of 44 people per 100,000 residents), and a large proportion of them are tourists. This is the second in the world by the end of 2014, and first place Thailand second only to Namibia. In Russia, for comparison,18 per 100,000 residents. However it should be noted that the number of vehicles per 100 000 inhabitants, Thailand is superior to Russia at the expense of motorcycles, and this is one of the most dangerous types of transport, which even the most simple accident with the highest probability can result in death.
As soon as you sit behind the wheel, you will understand that only by the movement seems calm. The thing is that the style of riding in Asia, and in Thailand in particular, is very different from ours. For this reason, try not to overestimate their ability to drive, even if you are a real ACE of driving at home.
Here are some guidelines, perhaps subjective, but reflects my (author and website) point of view:
- Drivers in Thailand is a first – class drivers (personal opinion). They have a very fast response, comparable with ours. Many of them sit on motorcycles and mopeds since childhood, and throughout life coaching skills, including in special landfills. Do not try to compete with them, and to behave on the road also deftly as they.
- Tourists on the road the Thais are treated with special care and miss you even where it shouldn't, but it is only in the case they notice that you are a tourist.
- Traffic on the roads of Thailand are very intense, but slow. They rarely drive fast, but very deftly maneuver and easily squeezed into any available space between vehicles. Do not try to repeat it for them.
- Try to adjust to their slow, rhythmic movements, limit yourself to rush to operate on all cylinders, even on an empty road. You can always expect that someone will sharply go for you to the oncoming traffic to pass or turn onto the road from the curb to turn. The fact that the Thais are accustomed to that other drivers also move slowly and consider the distance to you safe. But if you move too fast, trouble is inevitable.
- Never forget that a motorcycle is not a car, and control it much more difficult. Falling off the bike on a sharp turn will not be easy, you need to overdo it with the accelerator.
- The Internet is a great tutorial rules of the road in Thailand sites http://thaidriving.info/ or http://phuket.dlt.go.th. There is a switch to English. Can learn the rules, watch the video tutorial and pass an online exam. Strongly recommend to study at least briefly the rules. If there is no desire to review at least marks, since they are quite different from ours.
However, do not assume that all Thais – who art good angels on the road, and everywhere you will miss the helpful and say thank you, even if you are not right. The aggressiveness of drivers in a conflict situation often goes beyond the limits. Almost every day in the local media, you can see an article about another fight between the drivers, do not share the road, and ended with the shooting or massacre. Many drivers, especially taxi drivers carry with them firearms, knives, machetes, and can easily use it in a conflict situation. Aggressive behavior and the drivers of motorcycles. This is especially true in large cities and resorts, so be very careful not to spoil your vacation and not engage in conflicts. Rule "Give way to the fool" is important here as well as at home.
Do not believe in the aggressive Thai drivers watch this video:
Features of renting a motorcycle in Thailand
A motorcycle or moped in Thailand, called simply "the bike" - national form of transport. Them here on the roads and their use, including for tourist purposes foreigners, is more than justified. The rental cost is very low, the fuel consumption is very small and many more advantages. We can safely say that the motorbike – transport budget-conscious travelers. But, everything is in order:
How and where to rent a motorbike?
To rent a motorbike everywhere. The search can start from your hotel or Guesthouse in which you stay. If there are none, it will tell you where your nearest rental. Do not rush your choice, look for somewhere cheaper, can bargain. Better to give preference to large firms which a lot of motorbikes, because less likely to encounter a "divorce" for scratches and scuffs, imitation theft, etc. (see below). Along with the bike you will receive free helmets and in most cases even a chain or cable lock.
Usually companies require a Deposit from you passport (which under Thai law is illegal) or a photocopy of your passport plus money (few thousand baht) as collateral. The latter, of course, is for tourists more than the preferred option. You can offer to leave a Deposit of the national Russian passport, but will take it everywhere. If you rent a bike in hotel, home, sometimes you can do without a passport and collateral. Some of the major car hire companies can use your credit card, freezing on the amount of collateral rasplachivaetsya a few days after rent.
Try to avoid the transfer as a Deposit the passport. Can try dishonest, but effective trick: rent a bike, leaving a Deposit of my old invalid passport.
It should be borne in mind that in most cases (with very rare exceptions) motorbikes are rented without insurance. All that you been injured in a motorbike or motorcycle or scooter will pay for itself. So be very very careful.
If you rent a motorbike in less serious office, you will sign a contract that in most cases is good, because there will be provided for any breakages you are responsible, and for which the distributor. But, on the other hand, in this case, there is no space for bargaining. Besides, as a rule, under the agreement, the distributors take responsibility for the damage only to the engine, and everything else you will have to repair at his own expense, even if the burned out light bulb or a broken cable.
Where and how to fill a motorbike?
Gas is cheaper at the pump. A full tank (usually 3 or 4 liters) is enough for 100 kilometers or more. If no stations can refuel with bottle filling stations along roads or services, but it will be one and a half times more expensive.
Petrol in Thailand is expensive, more expensive than in Russia. For 1 liter you will have to pay 30 baht (60.85 RUB, see about the money of Thailand and the exchange rate). Refuel stories 95-m gasoline, sometimes 92. special good quality. At gas stations across many types of 92-octane and 95-octane different markings (Super, Nitro, etc.), so trust the employees of the filling stations and drove up to the column, where they indicate. To deal with the equipment at the pump is not necessary, there always are people who will do everything, you only need to give them access to the tank and tell how much liters you need or to a full tank. To pay them, too.
In some remote places, for example in mountainous areas of Northern Thailand, dressings and localities are extremely rare, and it is easy to be without fuel. Moreover, to see a passing transport in the evening or night sometimes it is impossible for hours. Not to get into such a situation, is highly recommended before travel to these places to fill the tank full at the first opportunity.
How much is to rent a motorbike?
Depending on the region and the cost of renting can vary, but on average the minimum price for the easiest bike starts from 150 baht per day (304.26 RUB). Day means that if you take a motorbike at 10 am, then have to return it within 10 a.m. of the following day (unless you didn't take it for a few days). If you want to take a motorbike just for a day, as a rule, discounts are not given, and we'll still have to pay for a full day. Be sure to check the time in which you can return the bike if you decide to return it early, because you have to wait all day, no one will.
The rent for a few days you can get a discount. Rent for a month starts from 3000 baht (some travellers boast that rented the bike for a month and for 1500 baht, true or not, I don't know). New motorbike with low mileage give up more. When renting in small offices or in the hotels you need to bargain and aim for the mentioned price.
Where to Park the motorbike?
If you take a motorbike to rent for a few days, there is a need to Park it at night. Highly not recommended to leave it unattended on the street, even wearing a cable or chain. In most of the hotels have free Parking places for motorbikes of customers, and sometimes motorcycles dake dragged right inside the premises of the hotel or Guesthouse where he will quietly spend the night. Will inquire with the reception of the hotel, and if possible, they will arrange everything. Sometimes you may want to leave at the reception the keys of the motorbike, so they dragged him into the room late at night before closing the doors.
If there is no possibility to Park a bike or are afraid to leave the keys at the reception, you can pay to Park in the city. A lot of them everywhere, and to stay the night MOTOBIKE will cost 10-20 baht.
Useful tips for renting a motorbike in Thailand:
- Before take a motorbike to the rental, be sure to carefully check the operation of the motorcycle (it is best to take a little trip on it), the presence of scratches and scuffs, please check all the defects in the contract. Even better additionally take a picture of the bike from all sides, especially defects, as Thais love to complain for all sorts of minor damages and demand compensation for them to repair. Oh, and don't forget to carefully read the contract that you sign.
- As soon as I get a bike rental, record or take a photo of his room so as not to lose it when you subarcuate among hundreds of similar.
- Always wear a helmet while driving. Riding without a helmet is punishable by a fine of 500 baht, but you can haggle, if it happens on the road, not at the police station. The price is actually down to 200 baht. Helmets can be obtained in the rental along with the bike for free, but you can buy new for a few hundred baht. It would be better if your helmet will have a clear "visor" visor to protect your mouth and eyes from insects: you better eat fried and with beer, sitting in the evening at a beach than raw and on the go :-)
- The theft of motorbikes. Motorbikes in Thailand are very often stolen, and for this it can simply be immersed in the body of the car and leave the place. Try not to leave it unattended and to wear (although this is not a guarantee). Do not spare money for paid Parking. They abound everywhere, cost 10 baht. There are cases when dishonest companies themselves stealing rented they bikes and need to pay the cost (so there is the advice to buy on the spot lock with a chain or a rope and they tie the motorbike in the Parking lot). There's nothing you can do about it, because "against the scrap no reception": when you sign a contract, often agree to pay the cost in case of any damages, and insurance for MOTOBIKE almost never issued. If, Buddha forbid, you get into a situation, and your passport as collateral and we need anyway to get it back, even if you know the cost of a new bike worth up to 50,000 baht for used vehicle you have to haggle and drop the price down to 25 000 baht.
- Evacuation of motorbikes. If you have come to the place where I had left the bike, but it is not, maybe it is not stolen and evacuated by the police. This happens very often if you leave the bike in the wrong Parking place. Such places are marked with road signs and a border with red stripes. The return bike takes place in the nearest police station after paying a fine of several hundred baht.
- If you have damaged the bike. Theoretically, at the conclusion of most contracts have a paragraph that you should not attempt to repair the motorbike if it is damaged (this is the external damage as a result of accident or fall). Therefore, you are required to pay for the repair as it will assess the owner of the rental, or repair in his workshop. But here you have to haggle.
- If the bike broke down. The owner of the bike responsible for the performance of the vehicle and you do not need to be repaired, unless the damage occurred was clearly not your fault or contract, your responsibility is not determined differently. Ie if the bike burned out light bulb in the headlamp does not work the clutch, engine starts, etc. – it's not your problem. If the failure has occurred is clearly your fault, for example, you drove into a hole and made an eight on the wheel, it is unlikely that distributors will repair it at their own expense. If you have a flat tire, the easiest way to get to the nearest workshop and repair at their own expense (the replacement camera will cost about 200 baht, but don't forget, as usual, to bargain).
However, a motorbike with an automatic transmission is not designed for long journeys, and therefore for them may be limited to a guarantee of operation of the engine depending on the mileage or distance from the place of hire (these conditions are stated in the contract). So for example, if the bike impossible to start with you, when you will be at a distance of 50 kilometres from the place of rent, then any kind of repair you will have to do yourself. So pay attention to the presence of such a clause in the contract, or take it for longer trips a motorcycle with an automatic transmission.
- When driving on a motorcycle/moped, without a passenger passenger footrest should be folded. For violation a fine of 200 baht.
All of the above for the average standard situation rent a motorbike. But don't be surprised if in practice you find that nobody will try to raise money for minor scratches are your fault; no one will demand a Deposit, passport, and even refuse payment for the rent in advance; no one's ever gonna check you right on the road, and the police get off with a warning and a preventive conversation for what you are without a helmet. This happens not infrequently. Thailand is a beautiful country, and with the bike it is even more beautiful.
Features rent a car in Thailand
Car rental can be found in all tourist areas, airports. Have the opportunity to book a rental car through the Internet which is recommended. As demonstrated by our practice (the authors website), without the ability to bargain to take a car in rent is not worth it because you'll pay more than when booking through the Internet. The cost of renting a car starts from 600 baht for the easiest car for rental for long term, but for short-term lease will have to pay 1000 baht.
There are two very popular distributors operating in almost all parts of Thailand is suddenly AVIS www.aviasthailand.com and BUDGET http://www.budget.co.th/. They have great cars and good conditions of insurance coverage, but will have to pay about one and a half times more than when booking in small offices. But even these serious organizations are willing to bargain, especially if you rent for long term. Sometimes they also offer spezzini and hold shares, but lowered the prices, but it is better to start looking several months before you travel.
When renting a car you need to pay attention to technical condition, external damage (to note them in the contract and to take pictures), and very carefully check the contract and insurance details. Categorically don't recommend to rent a car without insurance, although, to be honest, and secondary insurance won't cover the damages from a serious accident. Insurance can cover damage only in the tens of thousands of baht, and above all that, you will have to pay out of pocket. Be sure to pay attention to these conditions. Also ask the seller and deduct the contract for the franchise. If the contract provides for the franchise, in the case of damage you will be required to pay for small repairs, for example up to 5,000 baht from his own pocket, and on top of all that extinguishes insurance.
When renting a car you can't get off with only a passport and a credit card. Distributors will ask you a valid driver's license of the corresponding category. If your Russian law they are not satisfied, go to the next Bank.
Tell me how much you need to pay for a rental car in Thailand? What have to do the paperwork? ...
Read http://nashaplaneta.net/articles1/arenda-v-tailande.php ...
How much is rent a motorbike in low season? Require to show the rights? ...
Never noticed big fluctuations in prices in low and high season. Rent the national average from 150 baht per day, but varies from place to place, conditions, time, state of the art. Right again, somewhere need to show (rarely), somewhere in there (usually). ...
Samui motorbike rentals without a Deposit of your passport or other document can be rented here otpuskthai.ru/rent-bike-on-samui. Only enough copies of the passport and the signed contract. What there is no divorce, if you scratch the bike, counted all at factory prices.
With a rental car also no problems on Koh Samui, offering at every step, but to find a car to explore the Melting problem, all rent offices are given only on the island without going beyond it. The same Avis or Thai rent a car are reluctant to provide such machine and the price of puts is very high. ...
A car is recommended 100% to be booked in advance ...
If you want a normal machine, at affordable prices, look at cars scanner ...
The company removed the whole bus is very convenient ...
Thanks for the article, very detailed, questions remain. I will master the bike before the trip!!!! ...
Please! Check back often ...